Large scale Roberval Balance/Beam design help, please

In summary, the conversation is about designing and engineering a scale capable of weighing human beings, using Roberval's basic design and human-powered hoisting devices. The weight restrictions of the individual parts and the use of an open web truss for the primary balance beam are also discussed. The third person seeks guidance in designing the beam for their project and is directed to resources such as the book "Engineering Mechanics of Solids" and online sources.
Mac S
1. Design and engineer a scale capable of weighing human beings. I've elected to use Roberval's basic design because of its stability. Consideration: The structure must be erectable by two persons using only human powered hoisting devices. I will use water in the counterweight and man-bucket to achieve initial equalibrium. The 400# notes at the man-bucket and CW are suggestions only because the problem does not tell me the number of people being weighed.

2. Due to weight restrictions (~200#?) of the individual parts to be assembled I'm thinking an open web truss would work well for the primary balance beam. Can someone please guide me to a link or through the process of designing a beam that will work in this scenario? Btw, this is my first time at Physics Forums - it looks like a great site! Thanks for any help in advance!

Roberval link: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/roberval.htm"

3. I have solved the mechanics of the weighing process (moving the adjustable weight), yet my attempt to solve the beam design has simply been putting the "bones" in place graphically. This problem is for a relatively basic physics course project, but I would like to apply real beam engineering to it as I will be moving into engineering coursework next semester. Please see my basic design in the attached PDF.

Attachments

• 02.19.11#1.pdf
    47.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please provide me with a link or point me in the right direction of defining my beam and calculating the forces it will experience? You can use the equations of beam mechanics to calculate the forces that your beam will experience. A good reference is "Engineering Mechanics of Solids" by Egor P. Popov. It has a section on beam analysis which includes several useful equations. You can also find a lot of useful information online, such as this page on beam mechanics: http://www.efunda.com/formulae/solid_mechanics/beams/index.cfm

1. What is a Large Scale Roberval Balance/Beam?

A Large Scale Roberval Balance/Beam is a type of weighing instrument that uses a beam and two horizontal plates to measure the weight of an object. It is commonly used in industrial settings for weighing large and heavy objects.

2. How does a Large Scale Roberval Balance/Beam work?

The two horizontal plates of the balance are suspended from the ends of a beam, which is supported by a central pivot point. When an object is placed on one of the plates, it creates a torque that causes the beam to tilt. The weights on the other plate are adjusted until the beam is level, indicating that the object's weight is balanced.

3. What are the advantages of using a Large Scale Roberval Balance/Beam?

One of the main advantages of this type of balance is its high precision and accuracy. The beam design allows for a large range of weights to be measured, making it suitable for weighing heavy objects. It also provides a stable and consistent measurement, making it ideal for industrial use.

4. How do I choose the right Large Scale Roberval Balance/Beam for my needs?

When selecting a Large Scale Roberval Balance/Beam, you should consider the maximum weight capacity, the size of the plates, and the precision of the balance. It is also important to ensure that the balance meets any regulatory standards or requirements for your specific industry or application.

5. Can a Large Scale Roberval Balance/Beam be calibrated?

Yes, a Large Scale Roberval Balance/Beam can be calibrated to ensure accurate and precise measurements. It is recommended to have the balance calibrated regularly by a professional to maintain its accuracy and performance.