Mathematica continuous evaluation

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of ContinuousAction in Mathematica code and how it affects the evaluation of inputs. The reference provided explains that ContinuousAction is only relevant for constantly moving sliders. The possibility of other code causing repeated evaluation is also mentioned.
iva_bg
Hello,

I have a Mathematica code with Manipulate [] and a number of inputs. At the end I have ContinuousAction->False, but my code keeps repeating the evaluation, even when the inputs are not changing. Ideally, I would like it to evaluate once when an input is changed. But now it goes like crazy simulating the same thing over and over again.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone, any ideas?

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/ContinuousAction.html

says
"is an option for Manipulate, Slider and related functions which specifies whether action should be taken continuously while controls are being moved."
which, if I am interpreting correctly, seems only relevant if you are moving a slider back and forth constantly.

So do you have something else in your code that is being re-evaluated again and again?

1. What is Mathematica continuous evaluation?

Mathematica continuous evaluation is a feature in Mathematica software that allows for real-time updates and computations. It automatically evaluates and updates expressions and functions as they are entered, providing instant feedback and results.

2. How is continuous evaluation different from traditional evaluation?

In traditional evaluation, expressions and functions are only evaluated when explicitly commanded, whereas in continuous evaluation, they are automatically evaluated as they are entered. This allows for a more interactive and dynamic approach to working with Mathematica.

3. Can continuous evaluation be turned off?

Yes, continuous evaluation can be turned off by using the command SetOptions[$FrontEnd, ContinuousAction -> False] in Mathematica. This will disable the automatic evaluation and updates, and expressions will only be evaluated when explicitly commanded.

4. Are there any downsides to using continuous evaluation?

One potential downside is that continuous evaluation can slow down the performance of Mathematica, especially when working with large and complex expressions. It is also important to be aware of the continuous evaluation status when writing and editing code, to avoid unintended evaluations.

5. Can continuous evaluation be used in all versions of Mathematica?

Continuous evaluation was introduced in Mathematica version 6.0, so it can be used in all versions after that. However, it is not compatible with earlier versions of Mathematica.