Max wheel size according to torque

In summary: Yes, your calculations are correct.As for the flip over limit, it is the angle at which the normal force on the front axle will be zero and the total weight of the vehicle will be on the rear axle. This is an unstable condition. At this point, the front axle can lift to any height and the vehicle may flip over.
Jones1987
Hi, I'm researching into what will be the best size wheels to put onto a motor to allow my robot to climb an incline, and then possibly find out what is the maximum incline it can reach.

I'm using this thread as a source for the math:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/archive/index.php/t-2900.html

But where he states this

"So, given 47 oz-in of torque with four motors (1.3 Newton-meters), mass of 2 Kg and an angle of 15 degrees, the answer is:

r = 1.3 / (9.8 * 2 * 0.26) = 0.26 m"

Would you not use the torque of a single motor to find out its max wheel size? Rather than combine the total torque and use that?

Also, once I've found my ideal size of wheel to tackle a 15degree incline, I'm taking an educated guess that a wheel to combat a 20degree incline be a smaller?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you assume that your robot has 4 wheels of radius r, each connected to a motor with torque T, the force balance equation is:

m*g*sin(theta) = (T/r)1 + (T/r)2 + (T/r)3 + (T/r)4 = 4*(T/r) = (4*T)/r

and 4*T is the sum of the torque from all motors. This is why you need the torque from all motors.

Don't forget that this is the maximum wheel radius for your robot to be able to climb that hill (actually it will be only just enough for preventing your robot to go downhill); you can (and should) go smaller.

They are also 2 other characteristics that will limit the climbing ability of your robot: its traction and its flip over limit.

Read this http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" for more info (look at the bottom of the page: Theory»Longitudinal acceleration»Accelerating»Hill climbing)

Last edited by a moderator:
jack action said:
If you assume that your robot has 4 wheels of radius r, each connected to a motor with torque T, the force balance equation is:

m*g*sin(theta) = (T/r)1 + (T/r)2 + (T/r)3 + (T/r)4 = 4*(T/r) = (4*T)/r

and 4*T is the sum of the torque from all motors. This is why you need the torque from all motors.

Don't forget that this is the maximum wheel radius for your robot to be able to climb that hill (actually it will be only just enough for preventing your robot to go downhill); you can (and should) go smaller.

They are also 2 other characteristics that will limit the climbing ability of your robot: its traction and its flip over limit.

Read this http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" for more info (look at the bottom of the page: Theory»Longitudinal acceleration»Accelerating»Hill climbing)

Hi jack, thanks for the detailed reply. I assume to obtain max wheel size, I just use sum of torque, divided by the force. Which will give me a max radius to use

So e.g.
m = 2kg
T = 0.355 * 2 (2 motors) = 0.71Nm
F = (9.8 * 2 * sin(15)) = 5.07N

So Rmax = 0.71 / 5.07
Rmax = 0.14m

Is this correct?

I'm looking at the flip over limit, and I don't know if it's because I've not long been awake, but I'm not grasping it. Will the resultant value of tan(theta) be the max angle before this robot will begin to lift and flip over?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, your calculations are correct.

As for the flip over limit, it is the angle at which the normal force on the front axle will be zero and the total weight of the vehicle will be on the rear axle. This is an unstable condition. At this point, the front axle can lift to any height and the vehicle may flip over.

jack action said:
Yes, your calculations are correct.

As for the flip over limit, it is the angle at which the normal force on the front axle will be zero and the total weight of the vehicle will be on the rear axle. This is an unstable condition. At this point, the front axle can lift to any height and the vehicle may flip over.

Ok brilliant. However for some reason, when I calc the ideal wheel size on a flat surface, I end up getting a lower number than what it would be on an incline. But surely on a flat surface you are allowed larger wheels?

R = T / (g * m)
R = 0.71 / (9.8 * 2)
R = 0.036m

So I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious here.

sin(0) equals 0, not 1. The value of Rmax is infinity on a flat surface.

1. What is the maximum wheel size that can be used according to torque?

The maximum wheel size that can be used is directly dependent on the torque produced by the vehicle's engine. The higher the torque, the larger the wheel size that can be used. This is because larger wheels require more torque to rotate, so a higher torque engine is necessary to power them.

2. How does torque affect the maximum wheel size?

Torque is the rotational force produced by the engine and is measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (Nm). The amount of torque produced by an engine determines how much power it has to turn the wheels. The higher the torque, the larger the wheel size that can be used.

3. Is there a formula to calculate the maximum wheel size according to torque?

There is no specific formula to calculate the maximum wheel size according to torque. However, there are various factors that need to be taken into consideration, such as the vehicle's weight, tire size, and the type of terrain it will be driven on. It is best to consult with a mechanic or refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for the optimal wheel size.

4. Can changing the wheel size affect the torque of my vehicle?

Yes, changing the wheel size can affect the torque of your vehicle. As mentioned earlier, larger wheels require more torque to rotate, so switching to a larger wheel size can put more strain on the engine and decrease its torque output. This can result in slower acceleration and a decrease in overall performance.

5. What are the consequences of using a wheel size that exceeds the recommended torque?

Using a wheel size that exceeds the recommended torque can have several consequences. It can put excessive strain on the engine, leading to decreased performance and potential damage. It can also affect the handling and stability of the vehicle, as well as increase the risk of tire blowouts. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the maximum wheel size to ensure safe and optimal performance.