How can I improve my problem solving skills in engineering?

• Thread starter jaredogden
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a mechanical engineering student at San Diego State University who is struggling with Mechanics of Materials and other classes. They can complete homework problems but struggle with tests and are looking for advice on how to improve their problem-solving skills. They are seeking exercises or mind games to sharpen their mind for problem solving and are open to any general advice.
jaredogden
Well I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I guess I'm going to anyways. I am a ME student as San Diego State University and I am having a little bit of trouble with Mechanics of Materials and some other classes. The problem that I see myself having is when it come to test time. I can seem to get the homework problems done and understand most of them. however when I get a test I often cannot understand how to tackle the problem, I know I have all the tools and our professor gives us any equation we ask for and since it it relatively early in the semester most of the topics we have covered aren't too difficult to grasp. I guess is what I'm trying to ask here is if anyone might have a good approach or mindset to try and have when doing these sorts of problems or any engineering problem for that matter..

I know the best thing about engineers is their problem solving skills and I want mine to be as sharp as possible. So my next question would be is if there are some sort of exercises or mind games/puzzles besides normal course work that anyone knows of that I can do to help sharpen a mind to be more geared toward intensive problem solving?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just giving general advice here, I think the most important way to go about that is knowing and understanding where you want to be (i.e. the ultimate goal, the piece to the puzzle, etc..) then taking the steps you already know to get there.

As my senior design professor always says "First you need to know where you need to be (understanding the problem clearly) then all you need to do is find out how to get there. You already have the tools given to you"

1. What skills do I need to become a better problem solver?

To become a better problem solver, you need to have a combination of critical thinking, creativity, analytical skills, and the ability to adapt and learn from your mistakes. These skills will help you identify the root cause of a problem, brainstorm potential solutions, and evaluate the best course of action.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills?

To improve your critical thinking skills, you can practice by asking open-ended questions, analyzing information from multiple perspectives, and challenging your own assumptions and biases. You can also read books or articles on critical thinking and participate in activities that require problem-solving and decision-making.

3. How can I be more creative when solving problems?

Creativity can be enhanced by exposing yourself to new experiences and ideas, keeping an open mind, and practicing brainstorming techniques. You can also seek inspiration from others, collaborate with different people, and try approaching problems from different angles.

4. What role does communication play in problem-solving?

Effective communication is crucial in problem-solving as it allows you to understand the problem better, share your thoughts and ideas, and collaborate with others. It also helps in building relationships, managing conflicts, and gaining support for your solutions.

5. How can I become a more efficient problem solver?

To become a more efficient problem solver, you can practice prioritization and time management skills. It is also important to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable tasks, and to continuously evaluate and adjust your approach as needed. Additionally, learning from past experiences and seeking feedback can also help improve your problem-solving efficiency.