How to (help): copper wire spring

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to make a copper spring using 30 awg wire. They are struggling with keeping the spring's shape after stretching it. One suggestion is to use the process of "work hardening" by bending the wire multiple times. There is also a discussion about the effects of heating and cooling on metal properties, as well as the different factors to consider when determining the best type of spring for a specific application. Ultimately, it is recommended to anneal the copper wire at a temperature of 700 C using a propane/butane torch.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings,
I need to make a spring out of pure copper wire. I'm using 30 awg off a spool but I'm struggling to make the copper retain its original shape after being stretched.

I don't know much about material science except that when metal is brought to a high temperature and then quickly submersed in a cooling agent the metal becomes very strong, as the molecular structure is "frozen" into place, but makes the metal brittle. Alternatively, a piece of metal brought to a high temperature and then let naturally cool tends to increase its spring characteristics.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how I can make a decent copper spring. Specifically, what temperature I should heat the 30 awg wire to during the second process above and for how long. Heating would be done in a household oven.

I've done youtube searches and such, but I would like some opinions or suggestions.

Thanks,
-Taylaron

Engineering news on Phys.org
One way is to do "work hardening". Just bend it a few times and it becomes stiffer. I'm not sure if electrical wire is already in a very stiff state or not. If you heat it and let it cool, it softens up again. The effect of heating and the sequence and timings vary greatly between different metals and can go in different directions. There are all these diagrams you can use to work out what phases a specific alloy will contain after some heating/cooling process.

It's not clear what you mean by "spring". Obviously wire straight of the spool is already a spring. Do you want it to store more spring energy per volume of copper? Do you have some constraint that prevents you just using more wire? Do you want greater deflection without yielding? Do you want greater load without yielding? In some cases a brittle material may be the best spring, or a ductile material. It depends where the yield point is and what the elastic modulus is.

Bending copper just once will work harden it significantly. Straightening out the wire from the spool is enough to do that, even if the wire was annealed after it had been spooled.

If you try to bend it twice to get the final shape you want, you will have problems because the second bend will tend to "spring back" after the first bend work-hardens the material.

To anneal copper you need to heat it till it just starts to glow red hot for a short time (for thin wire, a few seconds is enough) and then let it cool naturally in the air. A household oven will not be hot enough. You need a temperature of about 700 C. Get a small propane/butane torch or something similar.

You can anneal copper repeatedly without accumulating much permanent damage to the material structure, provided you don't over-heat it and oxidize the surface.

1. How do I prevent copper wire springs from rusting?

The best way to prevent copper wire springs from rusting is to coat them with a protective layer, such as a clear lacquer or paint. This will prevent moisture from reaching the copper and causing rust. Additionally, storing the springs in a dry environment can also help prevent rusting.

2. What is the best way to clean copper wire springs?

The best way to clean copper wire springs is with a mixture of vinegar and salt. Simply mix equal parts of white vinegar and salt in a bowl and submerge the springs in the mixture for 30 minutes. Afterwards, use a soft cloth to gently scrub away any remaining dirt or grime. Rinse the springs with water and dry thoroughly before use.

3. How can I make copper wire springs more flexible?

To make copper wire springs more flexible, you can anneal them by heating them with a blowtorch until they turn red and then allowing them to cool slowly. This process will soften the copper and make it more pliable. However, be careful not to overheat the springs as this can cause them to become brittle.

4. What is the maximum weight that copper wire springs can support?

The maximum weight that copper wire springs can support depends on various factors such as the thickness and length of the wire, as well as the diameter and number of coils in the spring. It is best to consult with a professional engineer or refer to a spring weight capacity chart to determine the maximum weight for a specific type of copper wire spring.

5. How can I recycle old copper wire springs?

Old copper wire springs can be recycled by taking them to a metal recycling facility or by contacting a scrap metal collector. The springs will be melted down and turned into new copper products. It is important to properly dispose of old springs to prevent them from ending up in landfills and causing harm to the environment.