Orbital angular momentum of O2

In summary, the paramagnetic behavior of O2 molecule is due to two unpaired electrons in a degenerate pi* orbital, with a total orbital angular momentum of 0. In the lowest excited state, singlet oxygen, the orbital angular momentum is 2 hbar. According to Hunds rules, both S and L tend to be maximal in the ground state of an atom with degenerate shell, but in atoms or ions of main group elements with maximally p orbitals, L cannot be greater than 1 if S is to be maximal. Hund's rules are more interesting for atoms and ions with open d or f shells, such as lanthanides.
Pete99
Hi,

I have read several texts where it says that the paramagnetic behavior of O2 molecule is due to two unpaired electrons in a degenerate pi* orbital.

I have not read, however, any comment about the orbital angular momentum of these pi* states.

Is there any reason why the orbital angular momentum is not considered? Is it zero? Why?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats an interesting question. In the ground state [tex] ^3\Sigma_g^-[/tex], the orbital angular momenta of the occupied antibonding pi orbitals combine to total orbital angular momentum 0 (hence the [tex]\Sigma[/tex]). Classically, the two unpaired electron orbit around the molecular axis in different directions. In the lowest excited state (singlett oxygen)
[tex] ^1\Delta_g [/tex] the total spin of the electrons is zero but the orbital angular momentum is 2 hbar. Hence the paramagentism of singlet oxygen is nearly as high as that of ground state oxygen although spins are paired.

Thanks for your answer!

Is it always the case that the combined angular momentum of a set of degenerate states adds to zero? I know that it is zero for an atom (for example px, py, pz).

Pete99 said:
Thanks for your answer!

Is it always the case that the combined angular momentum of a set of degenerate states adds to zero? I know that it is zero for an atom (for example px, py, pz).

Quite on the contrary! According to Hunds rules, both S and L tend to be maximal in the ground state of an atom with degenerate shell.

Maybe I did not make myself clear, or I am totally wrong, but in an atom such as nitrogen in the ground state, the electronic configuration would be 1s2 2s2 2p3

To maximize S we would have the three electrons with parallel spins in the three degenerate p states, but then L would be zero, isn't it?

Yes, for sure. As long as you only consider atoms or ions of main group elements with maximally p orbitals L cannot be greater as 1 if S is to be maximal. The Hund rules become more interesting for atoms and ions with open d or f shells, like lanthanides.

What is orbital angular momentum of O2?

The orbital angular momentum of O2 refers to the rotational motion of an O2 molecule around its own axis. This motion is quantized, meaning that it can only occur in certain discrete values.

How is orbital angular momentum of O2 calculated?

The orbital angular momentum of O2 can be calculated using the formula L = r x p, where r is the distance between the O2 molecule and its axis of rotation, and p is the momentum of the molecule. This value is typically expressed in units of Planck's constant divided by 2π.

What is the significance of orbital angular momentum in O2?

The orbital angular momentum of O2 plays a crucial role in the molecule's overall energy and stability. It affects the molecule's ability to absorb and emit light, as well as its interactions with other molecules and forces.

How does the orbital angular momentum of O2 differ from spin angular momentum?

While both orbital and spin angular momentum refer to rotational motion, they differ in the axis of rotation. Orbital angular momentum refers to the rotation around an external axis, while spin angular momentum refers to the rotation of an object around its own axis.

Can the orbital angular momentum of O2 be changed?

Yes, the orbital angular momentum of O2 can be changed through various processes such as collisions, absorption or emission of light, and interactions with external fields. These changes can affect the molecule's energy and stability.