Can someone help me with Java installation on windows 7

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of setting up Java on a Windows 7 computer. It involved navigating through the Control Panel and System settings to add the Java bin sub directory to the PATH variable. However, some users encountered issues with not being able to find the javac compiler in the designated directory. The solution was to make sure the JDK (Java Development Kit) version was downloaded and to check the /bin directory for the javac executable.
UltimateSomni
I bought a book for beginners and it said "On Windows Vista or Window XP, navigate through Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced (System Settings), Environment Variables. Select the System Variable named "Path" and then click the Edit button. Add the address of Java;'s bin sub directory at the end of the list in the Variable Value field. For instance add C:\Java\bin; then click the OK button"

I don't have XP or Vista, does anyone know what the 7 equivalent of what it is asking to do is?

Edit: nevermind, I did all that but when I do the "java -version" thing or "javac -version" it says that it is not recognized as an internal or external command

Well, java is now recognized but not javac

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
A dumb question but, I've learned to ask anyway - is javac in your C:\Program Files\Java\jre\bin directory? That looks like the typical original jre (Java Runtime Environment) that doesn't have javac.

I don't know where my javac is, if I type javac into the run thing I get an error.

Here is what I downloaded: http://i54.tinypic.com/v4cf44.jpg

As you can see, I since downloaded Netbeans, but the location it gave me C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25 leads to the cmd prompt not even recognizing java.

UltimateSomni said:
I don't know where my javac is, if I type javac into the run thing I get an error.

Here is what I downloaded: http://i54.tinypic.com/v4cf44.jpg

As you can see, I since downloaded Netbeans, but the location it gave me C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25 leads to the cmd prompt not even recognizing java.

Time to learn how to use the file manager, I suspect. Have you tried looking around in C:\Program Files\Java to see if you can find javac.exe? Wherever it is, that's what goes in your path.

I would take a guess that maybe it's in C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\bin, but break out that file manager and find it. There's also a search function in there somewhere, I'm pretty sure. I'd be more specific about where to find the search feature in the file manager (aka File Explorer or something like that), but I don't have a Windows system around to check things.

Grep said:
Time to learn how to use the file manager, I suspect. Have you tried looking around in C:\Program Files\Java to see if you can find javac.exe? Wherever it is, that's what goes in your path.
What he said. :wink:
Grep said:
I would take a guess that maybe it's in C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\bin, but break out that file manager and find it. There's also a search function in there somewhere, I'm pretty sure. I'd be more specific about where to find the search feature in the file manager (aka File Explorer or something like that), but I don't have a Windows system around to check things.
The path variable tells your system what directories to look in for programs, dlls, etc. If you can't find the program in those directories, Windows isn't going to find it either.

The search function in Windows can be found by selecting a directory from the file manager and right clicking on it.

Grep said:

Got it, it is C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\bin

Is it working now?

i am having the same issue here but can not find javac.exe...

what do i do know?!

math34 said:
i am having the same issue here but can not find javac.exe...

what do i do know?!
Did you download the JDK (Java Development Kit) version?

There are two types of java installation - One for general use that doesn't have the javac compiler and the version for developers that does have it. If you didn't personally download the JDK, then you won't have javac on your computer.

yes i believe so

Are you using Windows 7 also math34?

math34 said:
yes i believe so
Then it will be in the /bin directory where you installed it.

HeLiXe said:
Are you using Windows 7 also math34?

yea I am using windows 7 here

ok so i went under C:\Java\bin

i see javac in this bin folder

excuse me, i have little to no experience with programming here...what is the next step to fix this issue?

Thanks!

The simpliest way would be to put it in your computer's system path. I don't have Windows 7 so I'll do my best to get you to what you need. I'm listing how to do it from XP but, I think that it is the same as long as you can find the Control Panel.

Open your Control Panel and open the System link.

Go to the Advanced Tab and select Environment Variables.

The Environment Variables window will have two sections - one for the current user and one for the system. Try to add the C:\Java\bin directory to the end of the Path variable for the current user or the System (if you want it set for everyone). Be sure to use a semicolon (;) to separate the new path from the others.

Close the properties windows and it should work when you try to use the javac command to compile. If not, you may need to restart the compter for it to take effect. You can check by opening a dos window and type the word 'set' at the command prompt. That will display your current path variables along with other information.

1. Why do I need to install Java on Windows 7?

Java is a programming language used to develop various applications and software. Many programs, especially web-based ones, require Java in order to run properly on your computer. Therefore, installing Java on your Windows 7 operating system is necessary to ensure that these programs can function correctly.

2. How do I install Java on Windows 7?

To install Java on Windows 7, you can follow these steps:
1. Go to the official Java website and click on the "Free Java Download" button.
2. Click on the downloaded file and follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
3. Once the installation is complete, restart your computer.
4. You can verify the installation by going to the "Control Panel" and clicking on "Java". If you see the Java Control Panel, it means Java has been successfully installed.

3. Is Java installation on Windows 7 safe?

Yes, Java installation on Windows 7 is safe. However, it is important to download Java from the official website to avoid any potential security risks. Additionally, make sure to keep your Java software up to date to ensure the latest security patches are installed.

4. Do I need to uninstall old versions of Java before installing a new one on Windows 7?

It is recommended to uninstall any old versions of Java before installing a new one on Windows 7. This will prevent any conflicts or errors that may occur if multiple versions of Java are installed on your computer. You can uninstall old versions through the Control Panel or by using a Java uninstall tool.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with Java installation on Windows 7?

If you encounter any issues during the Java installation process on Windows 7, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Make sure you have administrative privileges on your computer.
2. Disable any antivirus or firewall software temporarily.
3. Check your internet connection.
4. Clear your browser's cache and try downloading the Java installation file again.
5. If the issue persists, contact Java technical support for further assistance.