Is there chance to make computer with base-3 number system ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a computer with a base-3 number system. While it is technically possible, there are several reasons why it is not advantageous, such as efficiency and implementation complexity. Some examples of computers using alternative number systems have been created, but they are not practical for widespread use.
Chitose
Is there chance to make computer with "base-3 number system"?

Hello, Chitose wonder chick here again.

No matter how advance cpu these day, It's still base on binary numeral system

0 and 1

So...

I wonder why we can't make computer with base 3 number system?
0 1 and 2 (or what so ever)

I know it's sci-fi but, I've heard something call 'Three diagram',
It's supercomputer that if you give them enough information, It can predict future with near 100% accurate.

English is not my native language, forgive me if I'm wrong in spelling of gamma.

Technology news on Phys.org

You could make a computer that was base 3... but why? There is no advantage.

At the bottom of it is that 1 and 0 give two states on and off to make computer based on base 3 you would have to determine an intermediate state.

For base 3, you could have the state of positive voltage, negative voltage, and 0 voltage as the intermediate step. My gut instinct is this would be less efficient, though it would take an EE person to explain why.

I don't think it's simplicity, as much as it is complexity. You have to think more on, how do you store that value physically? I can't elaborate more than that. Someone with more knowledge on semiconductors needs to step in here.

There was at least one - SETUN (Russian)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setun"

Last edited by a moderator:

As TheoMcCloskey points out, it HAS been done, but the other posts that suggest it's likely not advantageous are correct, because of implementation.

I saw a proof once (at least I THINK I remember it being a proof) that the OPTIMUM theoretical base for a compute would be e, but of course no one is EVERY going to build one of those for the same reason ... implementation details make it a bad idea.

1. What is a base-3 number system?

A base-3 number system is a system of counting and representing numbers using only three digits: 0, 1, and 2. This is also known as a ternary number system.

2. Can a computer be made using a base-3 number system?

Yes, it is possible to create a computer that operates using a base-3 number system. In fact, some computers already use ternary logic in their operations.

3. What are the advantages of a base-3 number system in a computer?

One advantage of using a base-3 number system in a computer is that it can potentially perform calculations faster than a traditional binary system. This is because ternary logic requires fewer operations to perform the same tasks as binary logic.

4. Are there any challenges in implementing a base-3 number system in a computer?

Yes, there are challenges in implementing a base-3 number system in a computer. This includes the need for new hardware and software designs, as well as compatibility issues with existing systems that use binary logic.

5. Is there a possibility of base-3 computers replacing binary computers in the future?

It is difficult to predict the future of computer technology, but it is possible that base-3 computers could become more prevalent in certain fields where their advantages are significant. However, it is unlikely that they will completely replace binary computers in all areas.