Designing a Voltage Subtractor Circuit Without an Op-Amp

In summary: Wheatstone bridge circuit, but it didn't work very well. His voltage was still changing even though his resistance was stable.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can anyone think of a circuit that takes two input voltages and produce an output voltage equal to the difference in input voltages? In other words, a "voltage subtractor?"

And don't answer "op-amp!" I don't want to use an op-amp. The circuit also must function with only one positive supply.

Any ideas? Can it be done? What did people do in the pre op-amp days?

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I'm reading the question wrong, this is precisely what happens when you put a battery into a device backwards. If you go -+,-+ with AA batteries, you get 3V. -+,+- gives you 0V.

russ,

I'm not dealing with batteries (which are chemical devices actively capable of maintaining a potential difference across their terminals). You can flip batteries upside down and they don't care, and continue maintaining 1.5V across their terminals from - to +.

I'm dealing with two aribtrary voltages, from two temperature sensors, referred to the same ground. I want to get the difference of the two, without having to use an op-amp. And no, you cannot "flip one upside down," since they are referred to the same ground.

- Warren

Are these thermistors?

You may just have to isolate one from the ground and change the connections.

Tyger,

I *can* use separate ground voltages for both temp sensors. One could be grounded at 0V, the other at, say 3V.

If one sensor is at 30 degrees C, it will produce 0.3V above its ground.

If the other is 50 degrees C, it will produce 0.5V above its ground.

If I used 0V and 3V as grounds, the sensor voltages would thus be appproximately, say, 0.3V and 3.5V. How could I then subtract them and get 0.2V?

- Warren

What is intended precision, frequency range (or latency), voltage range, linearity? What are impedances?

Charging capacitor between inputs and then switching (with FETs) it over to output with one leg grounded would do it. But it'd be discrete sampler, and cap discharges with time. so depends on application.

Substraction can lead to negative voltages. What do you mean by only working with positive volts?

Some sort of differential amplifier. But I'd think you'd find suitable opamp faster and cheaper than trying to reinvent it.

Yup... op-amps are really the only way to go. The switch-mode cap circuit would be a huge pain in the ass.

I was just hoping there was some tricky way, using only passive components, to subtract two voltages. This is obviously not true! Oh well.

- Warren

If these were simply 2 thermocouples you could connect them in series with positive ends (or negative) connected. This should do exactly what you want. (Thermocouples act just like batteries, with a varible voltage which depends on the temperature of the junction.)

Originally posted by chroot
Yup... op-amps are really the only way to go. The switch-mode cap circuit would be a huge pain in the ass.

I was just hoping there was some tricky way, using only passive components, to subtract two voltages. This is obviously not true!
Well, I can only say that scrapping switch-mode cap you deny yourself a lot of fun.

On other note, if your subtractor circuit can have floating ground relative to your sensors, then simplest way to have difference is to connect subtractor ground to one of sensors and use other sensor as input voltage. You have free subtraction. But I suppose you need common ground, or you wouldn't be asking..

I *can* use separate ground voltages for both temp sensors. One could be grounded at 0V, the other at, say 3V.
If you can feed one sensor with negative voltage (common ground) and thus extract signal as negative voltage, then simple average sum of the two will always be 1/2 of their difference. job for simplest resistor network.

Chroot...why did you not want to use op-amps when they are the most obvious (and therefore easiest) way to go?

wait a min here...

what about using a wheatstone bridge?
http://www.electronics2000.com/basics/wheat01.jpg
Rs is originally set to be equal to Rx, and the sum of these two should be equal to R1+R2. when this is tipped one way by the sensor arm resistance changing (Rs), then the difference in voltage is expessed in the G (galvanometer) arm.
just a thought...

Try a wheatstone bridge circuit.

Richard

1. How do I design a voltage subtractor circuit without an op-amp?

To design a voltage subtractor circuit without an op-amp, you will need to use two resistors and a voltage source. The two resistors will act as a voltage divider, with one resistor connected in series with the input voltage and the other resistor connected between the input and output terminals. The output voltage will be the difference between the input voltage and the voltage across the second resistor.

2. What is the purpose of a voltage subtractor circuit?

A voltage subtractor circuit is used to subtract one voltage from another. This can be useful in many electronic applications, such as in signal processing or control systems, where it is necessary to determine the difference between two voltage signals.

3. What are the advantages of designing a voltage subtractor circuit without an op-amp?

One advantage of designing a voltage subtractor circuit without an op-amp is cost. Op-amps can be expensive, so using a simple resistor circuit can be a more cost-effective option. Additionally, op-amps can introduce noise and instability into a circuit, so designing without one can result in a more reliable and accurate circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to using a voltage subtractor circuit without an op-amp?

One limitation of using a voltage subtractor circuit without an op-amp is that the output voltage will be affected by changes in the input impedance of the circuit. This can lead to inaccuracies in the output voltage and may require additional circuit design to compensate for this. Additionally, the range of input voltages that can be accurately subtracted may be limited by the available resistor values.

5. Can I use a voltage subtractor circuit without an op-amp for AC signals?

Yes, a voltage subtractor circuit without an op-amp can be used for both DC and AC signals. However, for AC signals, the input and output impedance of the circuit should be taken into consideration, as well as the frequency response of the resistors used. Using precision resistors with a wide frequency response will result in a more accurate subtracted signal.