Measurement of capacitance of dielectric film using front contants

In summary, MIM capacitance measurement is a method for measuring capacitance using only front contacts (metal dots) on a dielectric film on a SiO2 substrate. This method is based on the principle of two plates of a capacitor with a dielectric film as the insulator. There are various resources available, such as books and articles, that discuss the theory and techniques of MIM capacitance measurement. It is also important to carefully select the appropriate method and instrument for your specific experiment and sample.
capMeasure
Hi,

I have deposited a film of dielectric on SiO2 substrate. Then, deposited metal dots on the top of dielectric film to measure electrical properties. I want to measure capacitance using metal dots on the top of dielectric. Since I have SiO2 as a substrate, I can not make a parallel plate capacitance measurement. But someone told me, it is possible to calculate capacitance using only front contacts (two metal dots). It will be very helpful if someone can give a reference to book or article.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It is possible to measure capacitance using only front contacts (metal dots) on a dielectric film on a SiO2 substrate. This method is known as metal-insulator-metal (MIM) capacitance measurement. The principle behind this measurement is that the metal dots act as the two plates of a capacitor, with the dielectric film acting as the insulator between them. By applying a voltage to the metal dots, an electric field is created in the dielectric film, which can then be measured to determine the capacitance.

There are several books and articles that discuss MIM capacitance measurement, including "Handbook of Thin Film Dielectric Capacitors" by C. K. Maiti and "Capacitance Measurements in Dielectrics" by J. W. P. Hsu. I recommend consulting these resources for more detailed information on the theory and techniques of MIM capacitance measurement.

Additionally, there are various techniques and instruments available for measuring MIM capacitance, such as scanning capacitance microscopy and impedance analyzers. It is important to carefully select the appropriate method and instrument for your specific experiment and sample.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is capacitance and why is it important to measure?

Capacitance is the ability of a material to store an electric charge. It is important to measure because it allows us to understand the electrical properties of a material and its behavior in electronic circuits.

2. What is a dielectric film and how is it different from other materials?

A dielectric film is a type of insulating material that is used to separate two conductive materials in a circuit. It is different from other materials because it has a high resistance to electric current and can store electrical charge without conducting it.

3. How is the capacitance of a dielectric film measured using front contacts?

The capacitance of a dielectric film can be measured using front contacts by placing two conductive plates on either side of the film and applying a voltage across them. This creates an electric field in the film, which causes the film to store a charge. The amount of charge stored is directly proportional to the capacitance of the film.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of capacitance measurements using front contacts?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of capacitance measurements using front contacts. These include the thickness and uniformity of the dielectric film, the distance between the front contacts, and the temperature and humidity of the environment.

5. How can the measurement of capacitance using front contacts be useful in scientific research?

The measurement of capacitance using front contacts can be useful in scientific research as it allows for the characterization of dielectric materials and their properties. This can be beneficial in fields such as materials science, electronics, and energy storage, where understanding the behavior of dielectric materials is crucial.