EFunction and Energy of Infinite potential + Parabolic potential well

Your Name]In summary, this is a question about finding the eigenfunctions and energy spectrum of a particle in a potential well with an infinite barrier on one side and a parabolic potential on the other. This is known as a "particle in a box with a spring." The solution involves using the Schrodinger equation and the ladder operators from the harmonic oscillator. The resulting energy levels and eigenfunctions are determined and can be used to solve for the system.
Diomarte

Homework Statement

Find eigenfunctions and the energy spectrum of a particle (its mass is m) in the potential well given by
V (x) = { +Infinity ; x < 0
{ (kx^2)/2 ; x > 0

Homework Equations

SEq.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is a combination of an infinite potential well combined with a parabolic approximation of a harmonic oscillator potential? I'm not 100% certain, and either way, I've spent a good 5+ hours working on this and haven't come up with much... I've read through Chapter 2.3 in Griffith's 2nd edition on The Harmonic Oscillator, and of course over the Ch 2.2 Infinite Square Well... I'm pretty sure I'm right when I say that the boundary conditions at x=0 require only odd functions such that ψ(x) = 0, and that ψ(x) is continuous at all points. Also if you have Griffiths, page 46 in Ch 2.3 explains with the ladder operators how to attain the different allowed energy levels of harmonic oscillator. I'm thinking that since this is essentially half of the parabolic approximation, that everything from this section would make sense, so long as you treat only the right side... That being said, I would greatly appreciate if somebody could give me a little more direction here, as I seem to be rather stuck...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!

Dear forum post author,

Thank you for your question. This is indeed a combination of an infinite potential well and a harmonic oscillator potential. The potential well is infinite on the left side (x<0) and parabolic on the right side (x>0). This type of potential is known as a "particle in a box with a spring."

To solve for the eigenfunctions and energy spectrum of this system, we can use the Schrodinger equation:

Hψ(x) = Eψ(x)

Where H is the Hamiltonian operator and E is the energy. Since this is a one-dimensional system, the Hamiltonian operator can be written as:

H = -h^2/2m * d^2/dx^2 + (kx^2)/2

We can use the ladder operators from the harmonic oscillator to solve for the energy levels. The ladder operators are defined as:

a+ = (1/√2mω) * (p - imωx)
a- = (1/√2mω) * (p + imωx)

Where p is the momentum operator and ω is the angular frequency of the harmonic oscillator, given by ω = √(k/m).

Using these operators, we can write the Hamiltonian as:

H = (a+ * a- + 1/2) * hω

We can then use the eigenvalue equation:

H |n> = En|n>

Where |n> is the nth eigenstate and En is the nth energy level.

Solving this equation, we get the energy levels as:

En = (n + 1/2) * hω

And the corresponding eigenfunctions as:

ψn(x) = A * (a+)^n * ψ0(x)

Where A is a normalization constant and ψ0(x) is the ground state wavefunction of the harmonic oscillator, given by:

ψ0(x) = (1/√π) * exp(-mωx^2/2h)

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

What is EFunction?

EFunction, also known as the energy function, is a mathematical representation of the relationship between energy and a specific variable or set of variables. In the context of infinite potential and parabolic potential wells, the energy function describes the potential energy of particles within these systems.

What is the significance of Energy of Infinite Potential + Parabolic Potential Well?

The energy of infinite potential and parabolic potential wells is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of particles within these systems. It also plays a crucial role in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.

How does the energy of particles change in an Infinite Potential + Parabolic Potential Well?

In an infinite potential well, particles can only exist within a certain region and cannot exceed a certain energy level. In a parabolic potential well, the energy of particles is determined by their position within the well. As they move towards the bottom of the well, their energy increases.

What is the relationship between EFunction and Energy of Infinite Potential + Parabolic Potential Well?

The EFunction is a mathematical representation of the energy of particles within infinite potential and parabolic potential wells. It allows us to calculate the energy of particles at any given position within the well and understand the overall behavior of the system.

How is the EFunction calculated for Infinite Potential + Parabolic Potential Well?

The EFunction is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the potential energy of the particles and the boundaries of the well. These equations can vary depending on the specific system, but they all involve solving for the energy of the particles at different positions within the well.