Confused about Taylor and Maclaurin Series

In summary, the difference between a Maclaurin series and a Taylor series is simply their center of expansion. The value of "c" in the series represents a horizontal shift of the function, and the series will converge on an interval centered around "c". For the function sin(x), the Maclaurin series (centered at 0) and the Taylor series (centered at any point) will both converge to sin(x). However, for other functions, this may not be the case.
paul2211
Currently, I'm doing some self studying on series, and I'm a bit confused regarding c (the value that the series is expanded about).

For example, does the Maclaurin series expansion of Sin(x) and the Taylor series of Sin(x) about c = 1 both converge to Sin(x)?

If so, what does the value of c do in this case? Can someone explain to me of its significance?

If they are not equal, does the Taylor series add up to Sin(x-1)? If this is the case, then what is the difference between a Taylor series of Sin(x) about c = 1 vs. a Maclaurin series of Sin(x-1)?

I'm really confused about this matter right now, and I hope I made my question clear.

Thank you guys in advance, and I'll be really grateful if someone can clear this up for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not really a difference between a Taylor Series and a MacLaurin Series. Rather, the MacLaurin series is just a special case of the Taylor series. It's a MacLaurin series if it's centered around 0, (c = 0)

The "c" that you see in the Taylor series is simply a horizontal shift of the functions. Exactly like you you would translate any old function.

I.e., the Taylor Series for sin(x), centered at five, would approach the function sin(x-5).

Yes for sin(x) the expansion about any point converges to sin(x). For other functions this might not be the case. The value c is the center of expansion. The idea is we are using information about the function near c to tell us what the function does further away. Think about a polynomial
3+4(x-3)-5(x-3)^2+6(x-3)^3-7(x-3)^4+8(x-3)^5
and
-2727+4192 x-2597 x^2+810 x^3-127 x^4+8 x^5
are the same polynomial but the first form is centered about x=3 and the second is centered about x=0. It is like two ways of looking at the same information.

If a series converges, it will converge on an interval that has 'c' at its center. In the case of sin, this interval covers the whole real line, regardless of c, so the two series are equal.z

The main difference between the two is simply their definitions. Maclaurin series are power series around 0, while Taylor series are expansions around any point. In other words, Maclaurin series are special cases of Taylor series.

What are Taylor and Maclaurin Series?

Taylor and Maclaurin Series are types of power series in mathematics that approximate a function by using a polynomial with an infinite number of terms. They are named after mathematicians Brook Taylor and Colin Maclaurin.

What is the difference between Taylor and Maclaurin Series?

The main difference between Taylor and Maclaurin Series is that Taylor Series is centered around a specific point, while Maclaurin Series is centered around 0. This means that Maclaurin Series is a special case of Taylor Series.

When do we use Taylor and Maclaurin Series?

Taylor and Maclaurin Series are used to approximate complicated functions that cannot be easily integrated or differentiated. They are also used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, for modeling and solving problems.

How do we find the coefficients of Taylor and Maclaurin Series?

The coefficients of Taylor and Maclaurin Series can be found by using the Taylor/Maclaurin series formula, which involves taking derivatives of the function at the center point and evaluating them at that point. The coefficients represent the rate of change of the function at that point.

What is the purpose of using Taylor and Maclaurin Series?

The purpose of using Taylor and Maclaurin Series is to approximate complicated functions with simpler ones that are easier to work with. They also allow us to find more accurate values of a function at a specific point or to estimate values of the function outside of its given domain.