Finding Instantaneous Acceleration in a Velocity-Time Graph

In summary: No, scatter-plotting won't help you - the points on a scatter-plot are all different distances from the center, and there's no way to know how much each point contributes to the total.
welai
http://i52.tinypic.com/95zrsw.png

^ okay, if my velocity-time graph looks like that (it was a quick sketch), and I need to find the INSTANTANEOUS velocity at point A and point B, how do I do it?

I mean, I understand the slope of the tangent = instantaneous acceleration, but this is not a curve. Thus, I also understand to use the normal straight slope. But I don't understand, WHICH slope is the INSTANTANEOUS acceleration for those points?

Physics news on Phys.org

welai said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/95zrsw.png

^ okay, if my velocity-time graph looks like that (it was a quick sketch), and I need to find the INSTANTANEOUS velocity at point A and point B, how do I do it?

I mean, I understand the slope of the tangent = instantaneous acceleration, but this is not a curve. Thus, I also understand to use the normal straight slope. But I don't understand, WHICH slope is the INSTANTANEOUS acceleration for those points?

You read the instantaneous velocities at A and B directly from the graph (because your plot is v vs. t). On the other hand, if you meant to say instantaneous "acceleration" (not velocity), then at A and B there is *no well-defined value*: the acceleration changes instantly from one constant value to another, so the acceleration at one 100 billionth of a second before A is different than the acceleration at one 100 billionth of a second after A.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You read the instantaneous velocities at A and B directly from the graph (because your plot is v vs. t). On the other hand, if you meant to say instantaneous "acceleration" (not velocity), then at A and B there is *no well-defined value*: the acceleration changes instantly from one constant value to another, so the acceleration at one 100 billionth of a second before A is different than the acceleration at one 100 billionth of a second after A.

RGV

Thank you! Just another simple question, then would it be easier if I make a scatter-plot of my velocity points on my vt graph, then I'll find the line of best fit for average velocity, then find the instantaneous acceleration at the time interval of A and B?

1. How do you determine the instantaneous acceleration from a velocity-time graph?

The instantaneous acceleration at any point on a velocity-time graph can be found by calculating the slope of the tangent line at that point. This can be done by finding the change in velocity over a small change in time, also known as the derivative of velocity with respect to time.

2. Can you find instantaneous acceleration from a straight line on a velocity-time graph?

No, instantaneous acceleration can only be found from a curved line on a velocity-time graph. A straight line indicates a constant velocity, and therefore, no acceleration.

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be found from a velocity-time graph by calculating the slope of the secant line between two points, while instantaneous acceleration requires finding the slope of the tangent line at one specific point.

4. How does the shape of a velocity-time graph relate to the instantaneous acceleration?

The shape of a velocity-time graph can provide information about the instantaneous acceleration. A steep slope indicates a higher instantaneous acceleration, while a shallow slope indicates a lower instantaneous acceleration. A horizontal line indicates no acceleration, and a curved line indicates a constantly changing acceleration.

5. Can you find the acceleration at a specific point on a velocity-time graph using only the position-time graph?

No, since the position-time graph only shows the displacement of an object, it does not provide information about the object's velocity. In order to find acceleration, both velocity and time must be known, which can be found from a velocity-time graph.