Magnetic field around charging capacitor

In summary, current I charges the capacitor q, which in turn changes the electric field between the two plates. Therefore, the electric flux increases and Ampere's law can be used to find the magnetic field at a point between the two plates.
chronokinetic
Hi everyone, I'm doing a problem that involves two circular capacitor plates with radius R connected to wires running current I (as in a circuit), and need to find the magnetic field at three different regions between the two plates as a function of r, radial distance from the center of the two plates.

Using Ampere's Law, ∫B*dl = μ(I +εd[itex]\Psi[/itex]/dt)

where μ and ε are the magnetic constant and electric constant.
B is magnetic field, I is current, and [itex]\Psi[/itex] is flux of electric field (between the two cap. plates, I 'spose).

I figured the best loop to integrate over is a circle (parallel to and in between the two plates).

How will I go about it from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If those plates are parallel, That exact problem is an example in my (old) edition of Halliday and Resnick PHYSICS FOR STUDENTS OF SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING

E is constant between the plates, neglecting fringe effects.

Thanks, I know the E is uniform, but how can you find B as a function of r ("r"adial distance away from center of plates)?

@chronokinetic: The current is charging the capacitor, therefore there is a change in the E field of the capacitor. How will that affect the displacement current?

what is the displacement current? I don't know what it is.
As current I charges capacitor q, the e field should change, meaning the electric flux through a circle between the plates also increase. There is no current between the plates so I=0, but there is d[itex]\Psi[/itex]/dt, so ampere's law is:

∫B*dl = [itex]\mu[/itex]*d[itex]\Psi[/itex]/dt

Electric flux [itex]\Psi[/itex] = ∫E dA = E2[itex]\pi[/itex]r
d[itex]\Psi[/itex]/dt = ?

How do I get E as a function of time? The distance between the plates is small so E can be written with q, A, and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] according to the problem. I know I = dq/dt

E for point change is E=kQ/r2

Am I doing it right?

1. What is a charging capacitor?

A charging capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, electrons accumulate on one plate and are removed from the other plate, creating an electric field between the plates.

2. How does a magnetic field form around a charging capacitor?

When a voltage is applied to a charging capacitor, the movement of electrons between the plates creates a changing electric field. This changing electric field then induces a magnetic field around the capacitor, according to Faraday's law of induction.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a charging capacitor?

The direction of the magnetic field around a charging capacitor depends on the direction of the changing electric field. If the electric field is increasing, the magnetic field will be clockwise; if the electric field is decreasing, the magnetic field will be counterclockwise.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field around a charging capacitor change over time?

The strength of the magnetic field around a charging capacitor is directly proportional to the rate of change of the electric field. As the electric field increases or decreases, the magnetic field will become stronger or weaker, respectively.

5. Can the magnetic field around a charging capacitor be manipulated?

Yes, the strength and direction of the magnetic field around a charging capacitor can be manipulated by changing the rate of change of the electric field. This can be done by altering the voltage applied to the capacitor or by changing the distance between the plates.