Ieuser.exe missing in C:Program Files\Internet Explorer - is my IE compromised?

• Thread starter petergreat
  • Start date
In summary: Get a second opinion and load a different spyware program.Can anyone who have IE9 installed check whether the file ieuser.exe is one of the installed files? This would be really helpful!If you do a web search for ieuser.exe, it's a process run before running IE (IE9?) that "sets security settings for medium level". I'm thinking it's more generic than that, since why would only medium security require a pre-process when the other security level in IE don't?ieuser.exe is only going to be running for a very short period of time, so you're not going to see it in your list of processes with task manager unless you get real lucky while launching IE9.
petergreat
I'm using Windows Vista SP2 and IE 9. An anti-spyware program alerted me that ieuser.exe, a crucial IE component, is missing. I checked C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, and indeed there were several .exe files but no ieuser.exe.
First question, is this file present in version 9 of IE?
Second question, does this suggest malware has tampered with my IE installation?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
petergreat said:
I'm using Windows Vista SP2 and IE 9. An anti-spyware program alerted me that ieuser.exe, a crucial IE component, is missing. I checked C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, and indeed there were several .exe files but no ieuser.exe.
First question, is this file present in version9 of IE?
Second question, does this suggest malware has tampered with my IE installation?

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ieuser/75309/

Can you load IE9?

If you download and reinstall IE you should be fine, but I suggest you don't. I suggest you move to Mozilla Firefox.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I can open and run IE 9 just fine, but again in Windows Task Manager I don't see the process ieuser.exe. Unless this file is no longer present in the latest version of IE 9, I smell something suspicious.

petergreat said:
I can open and run IE 9 just fine, but again in Windows Task Manager I don't see the process ieuser.exe. Unless this file is no longer present in the latest version of IE 9, I smell something suspicious.

Get a second opinion and load a different spyware program.

Can anyone who have IE9 installed check whether the file ieuser.exe is one of the installed files? This would be really helpful!

If you do a web search for ieuser.exe, it's a process run before running IE (IE9?) that "sets security settings for medium level". I'm thinking it's more generic than that, since why would only medium security require a pre-process when the other security level in IE don't?

ieuser.exe is only going to be running for a very short period of time, so you're not going to see it in your list of processes with task manager unless you get real lucky while launching IE9.

I don't see any instance of ieuser.exe on my system, but I'm using IE8, not IE9. I have a triple boot system, XP 32 bit, XP 64 bit, and Win7 64 bit, so it must be related to IE9, not the OS.

1. What is Ieuser.exe and why is it missing from my C:Program Files\Internet Explorer?

Ieuser.exe is an executable file that is part of Internet Explorer, the default web browser for Windows. It is responsible for launching and managing the browser. If it is missing from the designated folder, it may indicate that there is an issue with your Internet Explorer installation.

2. Does the missing Ieuser.exe mean that my Internet Explorer is compromised?

Not necessarily. There could be various reasons for the file to be missing, such as a corrupted installation or accidental deletion. However, it is always recommended to run a virus scan and check for any other unusual activity on your computer to ensure the safety of your system.

3. Can Ieuser.exe be restored or replaced?

Yes, you can try to restore the file using the System File Checker tool or by reinstalling Internet Explorer. If the file is still missing, you can also try to download a legitimate version of the file from a trustworthy source and place it in the designated folder.

4. Are there any alternative ways to access Internet Explorer without the Ieuser.exe file?

Yes, you can use the Run command (Windows key + R) and type in "iexplore" to launch Internet Explorer. You can also create a shortcut to the iexplore.exe file and place it on your desktop or taskbar for easy access.

5. How can I prevent Ieuser.exe from going missing in the future?

To prevent the file from going missing, it is important to regularly update your Internet Explorer and keep your system protected with a reliable antivirus program. Avoid deleting any system files and be cautious when downloading or installing any software to avoid any accidental damage to your system files.