Mastering Physics Problems: Tension, Forces, and Acceleration Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses various physics problems involving forces, tension, and motion. The problems include a morbidly obese man standing on a wooden platform supported by a steel cable, a ball on a string swinging in a vertical circle, and a block attached to a spring. The conversation provides instructions and equations for solving each problem, but the individual is struggling with some parts and needs more guidance.
mutzy188
My physics teacher gave us a huge packet with some review problems that we should know how to do for the test. There are 3 that I have no clue how to do.

1.) A morbidly obese man weighing 500 Newtons stands 2.5 meters from the inner edge of a nail supporting a wooden platform. The wooden platform he stands on weighs 200 Newtons, and is a total distance of 6 meters long. The platform is supported at the end by a steel cable (in blue) making a 45˚ angle above the horizontal.
Part A: Draw a free-body diagram representing this situation.
Part B: Find the tension T in the string (indicated by the blue arrow).
Part C: Find the force P that the nail exerts on the wooden platform (indicated by the green arrow). Give the magnitude of the force, along with the unknown angle theta.

I can do part B but that's about it. How do you do part a and c?

2.) A ball of mass M is attached to a string of length L and is swung in a vertical circle just above the ground. The tension T in the string at the top of its swing is 2g. The ball barely clears the ground at its minimum point.
Part A: Find the velocity of the ball at the top of its orbital. Express your answer only in terms of M, g, and L.
Part B: Find the tension T in the string at the bottom of its orbital. Express your answer only in terms of M, g, and L.
Part C: Find the centripetal acceleration of the ball at the top of its orbital. Express your answer only in terms of M, g, and L.

I don't know what to do. I know a= (v^2)/r but I don't have a. Is this the correct formula for this problem?

3.) A large block of mass 1.5 kg is attached to a spring, which is connected over a massless, frictionless pulley. Both of them are hung on opposite sides of the pulley, as illustrated in the diagram above. The spring has a force constant of 500 N/m, and is initially at its equilibrium position. The block is also released from its equilibrium position. After release, the block falls 3 centimeters before it hits the ground. Find the velocity v, in meters per second, just before the instant that the block strikes the ground.

I don't know what to do.

ynpzr.gif

ynq4l.gif

Any help would help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1) a) In a free-body diagram, the object of interest is represented as a point. You then draw arrows to indicate the forces acting on it. Properly speaking, the arrows should point in the right direction and their length should be proportional to the magnitude of the force involved, but most people just get the length and direction "sorta" right.

c) Assume that the platform is static. What does that tell you about the net force? Using that, break the forces into components (horizontal and vertical will probably work well here) and resolve them accordingly.

2) You might want to check the problem again. It states that the tension is "2g". That might be an acceleration, but tension is a force. There's something odd there.

In any event, remember that the tension in the string at the top is providing some of the centripetal force. Where will the rest of it come from? Given that, what is the total centripetal force acting on the mass, M? You know the equation for centripetal acceleration - it should be easy to find the equation for centripetal force. (Remember Newton's Second Law.) Set your answer to that equation and start solving.

Is that enough to get you going?

3) The diagram is a little unclear, but: do a free body diagram of the block. Remember that the tension in the string is one of the forces acting on the block. You'll also want to do a free body diagram of the spring. If we assume that the string is massless and non-extensible, then it will simply transmit the same force along it's length, i.e. however hard it's pulling at one end is how hard it's pulling at the other. You will probably end up with a set of simultaneous equations, which you can then use to solve for the motion of the system.

Let me know if you need more.

mg = T = 2g
so m = 2 ?

I don't get how to do 1 b.
(2.5)(500) + (6)(200)=0??

1. C. the horizontal component is tcos theta but what is the other one??

2.) a. would the answer be v= sqrt( [r(2g+fg)]/m)

3.) mgh + .5mv^2 + .5kx^2
(9.8)(3)(1.5) + .5(1.5)v^2 + .5(500)(3^2)
v= 3058.8?

1. c.
t sin theta = 6
tcos theta = 2.5

(6^2) + (2.5^2)= t^2
t=6.5??

im sorry. I am rushing like this because i need 2 know this in like an hour. any help would be appreciated. thanks

What are the main concepts covered in "Mastering Physics Problems: Tension, Forces, and Acceleration Explained"?

The main concepts covered in this guide are tension, forces, and acceleration. These concepts are essential in understanding the physical world around us and can be applied to various real-world scenarios.

What is the best way to approach solving physics problems related to tension, forces, and acceleration?

The best approach is to first understand the basic principles and equations related to tension, forces, and acceleration. Then, carefully read and analyze the problem, identify the known and unknown variables, and apply the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns.

What are some common mistakes made when solving physics problems related to tension, forces, and acceleration?

Some common mistakes include not properly understanding the concepts or equations, using incorrect units, and not considering all the forces acting on an object. It is important to double-check all calculations and use a systematic approach to avoid making mistakes.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills when it comes to tension, forces, and acceleration?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills. Start with simpler problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. Also, try to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing equations. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor.

Are there any real-world applications of the concepts covered in "Mastering Physics Problems: Tension, Forces, and Acceleration Explained"?

Yes, these concepts are used in many real-world scenarios, such as designing structures, predicting the motion of objects, and understanding the behavior of different systems. These concepts are also crucial in fields such as engineering, robotics, and astronomy.