Can dental floss reduce friction in physics experiments?

• Thread starter Aki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics lab experiment involving a string, glass rod, and mass. The question is asked about ways to reduce friction other than adding oil, and the suggestion is made to use a plastic bushing with lubricant. The conversation also touches on the low friction properties of glass and suggests using dental floss or monofilament fishing line as alternatives to string.
Aki
This is for a lab report that I have to do for physics class. In the lab, we have to tie one end of the string with some mass in one end, add a glass rod through the string, and then tie some more mass to the other end of the string. We have to hold the glass rod and start whirling one end of the mass around in a cir cle. Now my question is, other than adding oil around the rim of the glass rod, what another way to reduce friction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you could do is make a bushing. Take a small circular piece of plastic and place it inbetween the string and the glass. You can add some kind of lube inbetween the glass and the plastic to reduce friction in there.

BUT! I think that your teacher choose glass as the medium of the rod becuase it already has a very low static and kinetic friction force. (excuse the terms) ( could not think of the correct definition.)

I'm taking a bit of a stab here because the test set up doesn't make a whole lot ofsense to me. I need to see a picture. How about just rubbing some soap or wax on the string? You can't do too terribly much to the glass to reduce it's mu.

Would dental floss(wax) have a smaller mu than a normal rope?

dental floss

If string isn't required, then go to a sporting goods store and get monofilament fishing line. This stuff has a very low coefficient of friction.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects, which result in resistance when they come into contact and try to slide past each other.

2. Why is friction important to reduce?

Friction can cause wear and tear on surfaces, leading to damage and decreased efficiency. It also requires more energy to overcome, leading to increased energy consumption and costs. Reducing friction can improve the lifespan and performance of objects, as well as save energy and money.

3. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces to create a barrier and reduce direct contact. Another method is by using smoother materials or surfaces, such as polymers or ceramics, which have lower friction coefficients. Additionally, reducing the weight or pressure on the surfaces can also decrease friction.

4. What is the importance of reducing friction in machinery?

In machinery, friction can lead to overheating, wear and tear, and decreased efficiency. By reducing friction, the lifespan of the machinery can be extended, and its performance can be improved. This can save money on maintenance and repairs, as well as increase productivity.

5. Are there any disadvantages to reducing friction?

While reducing friction has many benefits, it can also have some disadvantages. For example, in some cases, a certain level of friction is necessary for objects to stay in place or function properly. Additionally, some methods of reducing friction, such as using lubricants, may require regular maintenance and can be costly over time.