Pre-exam. algebra questions.

• Thread starter fasterthanjoao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the first conversation is discussing how to sketch the regions in the Argand diagram given by the inequality |z+i| < |z-3|. The second conversation is about finding the modulus and argument of the complex number 1+cosx+isinx. The solution involves expressing the complex numbers as z = a+ib and using trigonometric expansions.
fasterthanjoao
1) Sketch the regions in the Argand diagram given by:

|z+i| < |z-3|

this means the distance from z to 3 is greater than the distance from z to i? would I then just draw two lines on the argand diagram, shading the lower region and not including the boundary? haven't had a problem with these questions through term, guess I am just a bit burned out and need to make sure. :uhh:

2) Find the modulus and the argument of:
1+ cosx + isinx

does this involve changing the angle to x/2 and using trig expansions?

-thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
fasterthanjoao said:
1) Sketch the regions in the Argand diagram given by:

|z+i| < |z-3|

this means the distance from z to 3 is greater than the distance from z to i? would I then just draw two lines on the argand diagram, shading the lower region and not including the boundary? haven't had a problem with these questions through term, guess I am just a bit burned out and need to make sure. :uhh:

2) Find the modulus and the argument of:
1+ cosx + isinx

does this involve changing the angle to x/2 and using trig expansions?

-thanks.

In this case it is useful to express these complex numbers as z = a+ib and then calculate the modulus. You know that a is on the x-axis and y is on the imaginary y-axis...

This oughtta help you out...i hope :biggrin:

For example : Z + i = a + (b + 1)i

Write out the inequality and look at a and b as the x and y coordinates of some first order inequality that you will need to solve... I tried it like this and it worked
marlon

1) To sketch the regions in the Argand diagram given by |z+i| < |z-3|, you would first need to understand what this inequality represents. In general, the inequality |z-a| < |z-b| means that the distance from z to a is less than the distance from z to b. So in this case, the distance from z to i is less than the distance from z to 3.

To sketch this on the Argand diagram, you would start by drawing the points i and 3. Then, you would draw a circle centered at i with a radius equal to the distance from i to 3. This represents all the points that satisfy the equation |z-i| = |z-3|. Next, you would shade the region inside this circle, as this represents all the points that satisfy the inequality |z-i| < |z-3|. Finally, you would draw the boundary of this shaded region, which would be the circle itself.

2) To find the modulus and argument of 1+cosx+isinx, you would first need to understand what these terms mean. The modulus of a complex number is its distance from the origin, which can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. In this case, the modulus would be √(1+cos^2x+sin^2x) = √2. The argument is the angle that the complex number makes with the positive real axis. To find this, you can use the inverse tangent function, which would give you an angle of x/2.

So in short, yes, you would need to use trigonometric expansions and identities to find the modulus and argument of this complex number.

1. What is the purpose of pre-exam algebra questions?

The purpose of pre-exam algebra questions is to assess a student's understanding of algebraic concepts and skills before an exam, allowing them to review and practice any areas they may need to improve on before the actual exam.

2. How many pre-exam algebra questions should I practice?

The number of pre-exam algebra questions you should practice depends on your individual needs and study habits. It is recommended to practice a variety of questions, at least 10-20, to get a good understanding of the concepts and identify any areas that may need more practice.

3. What topics are usually covered in pre-exam algebra questions?

Pre-exam algebra questions can cover a wide range of topics, including basic algebraic operations, equations and inequalities, functions, graphing, and word problems. It is important to review all the topics that will be covered on the exam and practice questions from each area.

4. Where can I find pre-exam algebra questions to practice?

There are many resources available for pre-exam algebra questions, including textbooks, study guides, online practice quizzes, and tutoring services. Your teacher or professor may also provide practice questions or review materials for you to use.

5. How can I use pre-exam algebra questions to improve my exam score?

Practicing pre-exam algebra questions can help you identify any areas of weakness and give you the opportunity to review and improve your understanding of those concepts. By identifying and addressing these areas before the exam, you can improve your overall understanding and perform better on the exam.