Calculating total resistance of a combination circuit with a diagonal resistor?

In summary, the person has simplified a problem involving resistors and is unsure if they have done it correctly. They are asking for any pointers and someone suggests using packages like gspiceui, gnucap, gEDA, gwave, or LTSpice to model circuits and analyze voltage drops and currents. These packages are all free to use.
WetFork
I have been given this problem, I've simplified it down to a total resistance however I'm unsure on whether I have done it correctly. Any pointers would be nice, thanks.

First of all I added the two resistors together in the top right as they are series. I then used that product with the (R1*R2)/(R1+R2) with the diagonal resistor as they are in parallel. I then added that up with the one in the bottom right as they are now in series. Used that product with the parallel formula with the one in the middle and then added the last two on the left.

My answer I got was 8.72 ohms total resistance, have I correctly done this?

Thanks for any help provided

Attachments

• resistorproblembt3.png
    resistorproblembt3.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 2,544
Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds good to me.

If you have Linux you might be interested in the following packages:
gspiceui
gnucap
gEDA
gwave

They can help you model circuits and read voltage drops and currents and see how a circuit will respond to certain inputs etc etc. They're the Linux attempt to create something like "SPICE"

Windows has "LTSpice" which is useful as well.

They're all free to use.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the total resistance of a combination circuit with a diagonal resistor?

To calculate the total resistance of a combination circuit with a diagonal resistor, you will need to use the formula: 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where RT is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. The diagonal resistor should be included in this calculation.

2. Can I ignore the diagonal resistor when calculating total resistance?

No, the diagonal resistor must be included in the calculation of total resistance. It plays an important role in the overall resistance of the circuit.

3. What happens to the total resistance if the diagonal resistor has a very low value?

If the diagonal resistor has a very low value, it will have a smaller impact on the total resistance compared to the other resistors in the circuit. However, it should still be included in the calculation as it will affect the overall resistance.

4. What if the diagonal resistor has a very high value?

If the diagonal resistor has a very high value, it will have a significant impact on the total resistance of the circuit. This is because it will create a larger parallel branch, resulting in a lower overall resistance.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate total resistance for any combination circuit?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the total resistance for any combination circuit, as long as the diagonal resistor is included in the calculation. However, the individual resistor values may vary depending on the specific circuit configuration.