Can head loss be added in parallel like resistors in circuits?

In summary, the person is asking about adding three valve/coil systems in parallel and if it is similar to adding resistors in circuits. The other person responds by saying that it may not be the case if the head loss is not the same for each leg. They suggest considering the resistance of each leg to determine if they can be added in parallel.
zzinfinity

Homework Statement

I have three valve/coil systems connected in parallel as shown in the attached figure. If I know the head loss of each valve/coil is 40 feet, can I add them in parallel like you do with resistors in circuits?
Thanks!

Homework Equations

1/h=1/h1+1/h2+1/h3 (possibly)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the diagram.

Not my field but I believe you are incorrect. Isn't head drop equivalent to "voltage drop"? In which case consider what happens when you connect three resistors in parallel... the current flowing in each changes until they end up sharing a common voltage drop (head drop).

Only _if_ the head drop was the same on each leg could you easily add them in parallel. In that I believe case you get h = h1 = h2 = h3. This is equivalent to adding three identical resistors in parallel.

If the head loss is different for each leg... Do you know the resistance of each leg ? eg the head loss per unit of flow?

1. How do you calculate head loss in parallel pipes?

The head loss in parallel pipes can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the pipe diameter, flow rate, and friction factor. Alternatively, the Hazen-Williams equation can also be used for simpler calculations.

2. What factors affect head loss in parallel pipes?

The factors that affect head loss in parallel pipes include the pipe material, diameter, length, flow rate, fluid viscosity, and roughness of the pipe walls. These factors can impact the frictional resistance and turbulence within the pipes, leading to varying levels of head loss.

3. How can head loss be minimized in parallel pipes?

Head loss can be minimized in parallel pipes by selecting pipes with a larger diameter, using smoother pipe materials, and reducing the length of the pipes. Additionally, controlling the flow rate and using fittings such as elbows and valves with a lower resistance can also help reduce head loss.

4. What are the consequences of high head loss in parallel pipes?

High head loss in parallel pipes can result in a decrease in flow rate and pressure, which can lead to reduced efficiency and difficulty in maintaining a steady flow. It can also result in increased energy consumption and higher operating costs.

5. Can head loss in parallel pipes be reversed?

No, head loss in parallel pipes cannot be reversed. It is a natural phenomenon that occurs due to the friction and turbulence within the pipes. However, it can be minimized by following proper design and maintenance practices.