Where Did the Phrase 'Freezing the Balls Off a Brass Monkey' Come From?

• Thread starter xJuggleboy
  • Start date
In summary, the origin of the phrase "freezing the balls off a brass monkey" is unclear, with various claims suggesting different explanations. One theory is that it refers to the brass plate or "monkey" used to hold cannon balls in naval ships, which would contract in cold weather causing the balls to fall off. However, this explanation has been disputed and it is unclear what the true origin of the phrase is.
xJuggleboy
Does anyone know where the tearm "freezing the balls off a brass monkey" came from?

I have found a few clames but they have diffrent origins... Help! =-)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is my understanding that underneath the pyramids of cannon balls seen in drawings of 17th and 18th century military camps was a form called a brass monkey. When it got very cold, due to thermal contraction,the cannon balls, would become to small to remain on the from (brass monkey).

Thus "cold enough to freeze the (cannon) balls off of a brass monkey.

Integral said:
It is my understanding that underneath the pyramids of cannon balls seen in drawings of 17th and 18th century military camps was a form called a brass monkey. When it got very cold, due to thermal contraction,the cannon balls, would become to small to remain on the from (brass monkey).

Thus "cold enough to freeze the (cannon) balls off of a brass monkey.

By coincidence, someone told me the above explanation about an hour ago. I was amazed, as I had just presumed it was just a slightly surreal saying.

Thats the same explanation I found... The problem is that a "Brass Monkey" is a cannon... Also if it got cold one night and a pile of cannon balls fell over... Would they not change the design of the plate? It just does not make sence. Also I highly doubt that the thermal contraction of a cannon ball or the contraction of a brass plate would be enough ficilitate the pile falling over...

Therefore... I need a better explanation =-)

1. What does the phrase "freezing the balls off a brass monkey" mean?

The phrase means to be extremely cold, to the point where one's body parts may freeze off.

2. Where did the phrase originate from?

The exact origin of the phrase is unknown, but it is believed to have originated in the 19th century in the British Royal Navy.

3. Why is a "brass monkey" mentioned in the phrase?

A "brass monkey" is a nickname for a brass frame that holds cannonballs on a ship. The phrase may have been derived from the idea that extremely cold temperatures would cause the brass frame to contract, causing the cannonballs to fall off.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support the phrase?

There is no scientific evidence to support the phrase. The idea that the brass frame would contract in cold temperatures has been debunked by physicists.

5. Has the phrase always been used to describe cold temperatures?

No, the phrase has also been used in a more vulgar sense, referring to the act of castration. However, this usage is less common and considered offensive.