Format hard drive / delete NTFS partition (Windows XP)

In summary, the individual is running Windows XP but needs to format their hard drive and is concerned about dealing with the NTFS partition. They are considering installing Windows ME and then upgrading back to XP, but are unsure if this will work with their XP CD which has only been used for upgrading in the past. They are also unsure of the best and safest way to delete the NTFS partition, and are hesitant to download unfamiliar executable files. The conversation provides advice on how to delete the partition using Fdisk and using the partition tool on the Windows XP CD.
DivGradCurl
Folks,

I'm running Windows XP, but now I need to format my hard drive. The only potential difficulty that I foresee is having to deal with the NTFS partition. I'd like to get rid of it, install Windows ME and then upgrade it back to XP.

I've read that the only way to delete any NTFS partition is to use either "WIPEOUT" or "DELPART". I'm skeptical when it comes to downloading executable files that I have never heard about. Could you please give me some advice? Is there a better (and safer) way to delete the NTFS partition?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Pop in windows xp cd and use the partition tool to delete the partition and reformat it nfts.

Question: Why would you want to install windows ME and then upgrade back to XP? Why not just install XP?

Question: Why would you want to install windows ME and then upgrade back to XP? Why not just install XP?

I've never installed XP immediately after formatting my hard drive. Since I have only used my XP cd to upgrade the system, I'm not sure it would work otherwise. Maybe, my cd is just for upgrading. I don't know.

Pop in windows xp cd and use the partition tool to delete the partition and reformat it nfts.

My windows xp cd does not boot, even if I use the BIOS to change the 1st Boot Device to be the cdrom. So, I can't just pop it in. By the way, how is the partition tool called? Is it either "WIPEOUT" or "DELPART"?

Thanks

Maybe the suggestions on this page will help (see "If Your CD Won't Boot"):

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:FhDCLijhWq8J:www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/honeycutt_02october07.mspx+clean+install+%22windows+xp+upgrade%22&hl=en&start=1

Last edited by a moderator:
thiago_j said:
By the way, how is the partition tool called? Is it either "WIPEOUT" or "DELPART"?

It just looks like this:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/images/image1_8.html

Last edited by a moderator:
thiago_j said:
I've read that the only way to delete any NTFS partition is to use either "WIPEOUT" or "DELPART".
You were misinformed. Fdisk can do it - that is, it can delete any partitions (even those it doesn't recognize, such as NTFS). Of course, it can only create FAT/FAT32.

Thank you guys! The boot problem has been resolved, and now I understand how to deal with the partition tool.

1. How do I format a hard drive in Windows XP?

To format a hard drive in Windows XP, you can use the built-in Disk Management tool. First, open the Start menu and right-click on "My Computer." Then, select "Manage" and click on "Disk Management" under the "Storage" section. Right-click on the hard drive you want to format and select "Format." Choose the file system as NTFS and click "OK" to begin the formatting process.

2. Will formatting a hard drive erase all my data?

Yes, formatting a hard drive will erase all data on that drive. It is important to make sure you have backed up any important files before formatting.

3. How do I delete an NTFS partition in Windows XP?

To delete an NTFS partition in Windows XP, you can also use the Disk Management tool. Follow the same steps as formatting a hard drive, but instead of selecting "Format," choose "Delete Partition." Confirm the deletion and the partition will be removed.

4. Can I recover data from a formatted NTFS partition?

It is possible to recover data from a formatted NTFS partition, but it is not guaranteed. There are data recovery software programs available that can help retrieve lost data, but it is best to avoid formatting a partition unless absolutely necessary.

5. How long does it take to format a hard drive using NTFS?

The time it takes to format a hard drive using NTFS can vary depending on the size of the drive and the speed of your computer. In general, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour. It is best to let the process complete without interruption.