Solving 9||2: Strategies for Computing the Unknown

• Thread starter ness9660
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a notation that the person has never seen before and cannot find a consistent answer for. They ask for more information and suggest looking for the notation in the book. The other person suggests providing context and quotes to understand the meaning. It is mentioned that in some programming languages, "||" means "or", but it doesn't make sense in this context. Another person suggests the possibility of it being a typo and provides an example of how it could make sense in a different context. The conversation ends with the possibility that the notation may have been interpreted incorrectly.
ness9660
How would you compute the following,

9||2

Ive never seen this previously and i can't consistently match answers the book has for the various listings.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I honestly don't recognize that notation. Could you give us more information? Can you find the first place in your book where it appears?

I suspect it is a typo.

It would be best if you could provide the context in which it appears, preferably a direct quote.
This would hopefully enable us to establish what the author has meant.

In many programming languages, it means "or", but I don't think that's what they're trying to say here, since "9 or 2" doesn't make any sense on its own.

How about 9 is parallell to 2?

No, that doesn't make a lot of sense either..:wink:

I'm sorry, SpaceTiger, I just couldn't resist, even though I know your suggestion CAN have some sense in some context. Mine can't (I think..)

arildno said:
I'm sorry, SpaceTiger, I just couldn't resist, even though I know your suggestion CAN have some sense in some context. Mine can't (I think..)

Well, I figured there was some chance they had seen something like (x<9||2<y) and interpreted the "9||2" part by itself.

That is indeed a good suggestion if it is not a typo..

1. How can I solve a 9||2 equation?

To solve a 9||2 equation, you can use the order of operations (PEMDAS) and the properties of equality to simplify the expression. First, combine like terms on each side of the equation. Then, use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, solve for the variable by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation.

2. Can I use substitution to solve a 9||2 equation?

Yes, substitution is a valid method for solving a 9||2 equation. This involves replacing one variable in the equation with an equivalent expression and then solving for the remaining variable. It can be a useful technique for equations with multiple variables.

3. What is the difference between solving a 9||2 equation and simplifying a 9||2 expression?

Solving a 9||2 equation involves finding the specific value of the variable that makes the equation true. On the other hand, simplifying a 9||2 expression involves reducing the expression to its most basic form by combining like terms and applying properties of equality. Solving an equation is a more specific process than simplifying an expression.

4. How do I know if my solution to a 9||2 equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying. If the resulting expression is true, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the equation and the solution point should be the point of intersection between the graph and the x-axis.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a 9||2 equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a 9||2 equation. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation by hand to ensure that you are entering the correct values and getting an accurate solution from the calculator. Additionally, some equations may require the use of more advanced calculators with equation-solving capabilities.