Understanding Vector Transformations: Problem 1

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving equations and vectors, where the goal is to compute Fx for different given vectors x. The conversation also touches on the concept of a "x_1x_2 plane" and how it relates to the problem. The person asking for help is unsure about the next step and asks for clarification.
jellicorse
Hi,

I am trying to follow an introductory problem in my book for which no solutions are provided and have got stuck. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how to go about this problem and where I am going wrong.

The problem starts:

Consider the eqquations:
[tex]y_1= x_1+2x_2[/tex]
[tex]y_2=3x_2[/tex]

We can view these equations as describing a transformation of the vector x = [itex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1\\x_2\end{bmatrix}[/itex] into the vector y = [itex]\begin{bmatrix}y_1\\y_2\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

The transformation can be re-written as:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}y_1\\y_2\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\0 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1\\x_2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Or, more succinctly, y=Fx

Problem 1: Compute Fx For the following vectors x:

a) x=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] b) x=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\-1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] c) x=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-1\\-1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] d) x=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-1\\1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

My Results:

a) Fx=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}3\\3\end{bmatrix}[/itex] b) Fx=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-1\\-3\end{bmatrix}[/itex] c) Fx=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-3\\-3\end{bmatrix}[/itex] a) Fx=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-1\\3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

This is where I am unsure. The next step says "The heads of the four vectors x in problem 1 locate the four corners of a square in the [itex]x_1x_2[/itex] plane."

I'm not sure I understand this: what does the " [itex]x_1x_2[/itex] plane" mean? I would have thought it means a plane in which [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are the axes... But I can't see how this can work as [itex]x_1[/itex] just consists of the points 3, -1,-3 and 1 on the x axis, as far as I can see...

I'd be very grateful if anyone could indicate where I'm going wrong..!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] refer to your original vectors. The 4 points are [itex](\pm 1, \pm 1)[/itex]; these are the corners of a square.

Likes 1 person
OK, thanks Chogg...

1. What is a vector plane?

A vector plane is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra to represent a two-dimensional space. It is defined by a set of two or more vectors that are linearly independent, meaning they are not multiples of each other.

2. How is a vector plane different from a regular plane?

A vector plane is a mathematical abstraction, while a regular plane is a physical surface. Vector planes exist in a theoretical, mathematical space, while regular planes exist in our physical, three-dimensional world.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector planes?

Vector planes have many practical uses, such as in computer graphics, engineering, and physics. They can be used to represent 2D motion, forces, and geometrical transformations.

4. How are vector planes related to vectors in general?

Vector planes are made up of vectors, so they are closely related. However, while vectors can exist in any number of dimensions, vector planes are specifically two-dimensional spaces. Vectors can also be used to describe points within a vector plane.

5. Can a vector plane contain an infinite number of vectors?

Yes, a vector plane can contain an infinite number of vectors as long as they are linearly independent. However, only a finite number of vectors can be used to span the entire plane.