Question regarding polynomials

• Thread starter Mathman23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the conversation discusses two 3rd degree polynomials, p and q, and the conditions p(0) = -1, p'(0) = 1, q(1) = 3, q'(1) = -2, q(0) = p(0) = -1, and q'(0) = p'(0) = 1. The resulting polynomials are given as p(x) = (2 + s - 2t)x^3 + (3 + 2s - 3t)x^2 + sx + t and q(x) = (-6 + s + 2t)x^3 + (9 - 2s - 3t)x^
Mathman23
Hi

This is the character equation for a polynomial of degree where [itex]n \geq 0[/itex]

[tex]p(x) = a_0 x^{n} + a_{1} x^{n-1} + a_2 x ^{n-2} + \cdots + a_{n-1}x + a_{n}[/tex]

I'm presented with the following assignment:

Two polynomials [itex]\mathrm{p, q}[/itex] where n = 3. These polynomials can derived using the following conditions:

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc} p(0) = -1 & q(1) = 3 & p(0) = q(0) \\ p'(0) =1 & q'(1) = -2 & p'(0) = q'(0) \end{array}[/tex]

If was told by professor that these polynomials can we written in the following form.

[tex]p(x) = (a_{0} + a_{1})x^{n-1} + (a_{1})x^{n-2} + \cdots + (a_{n-1})x + a_{n}[/tex]

How do I apply formula to my assignment??

Thanks in advance

Sincerely
Fred

Physics news on Phys.org
Restating, you have two 3rd degree polynomials, p and q, such that:
p(0)= -1, p'(0)= 1, q(1)= 3, q'(1)= -2, q(0)= p(0)= -1, q'(0)= p'(0)= 1.

Okay, write p(x)= a0+ a1x+ a2x2+ a3x3 and
q(x)= b0+ b1x+ b2x2+ b3x3

p(0)= a0= -1 and p'(0)= a1= 1. Also, since q(0)= a(0), b0= -1 and since q'(0)= p'(0)= 1, b1= 1.

So far we have p(x)= -1+ x+ a2x2+ a3x3 and since that is all the information given about p(x), I don't see anyway of determining a2 or a3.

We have q(x)= -1+ x+ b2x2+ b3x3
so q(1)= -1+ 1+ b2+ b3= 3
and q'(x)= 1+ 2b22+ 3b2 so
q'(1)= 1+ 2b2+ 3b2= -2.

You can solve those two linear equations for b2 and b3, completely determining q(x) but, unless you are given more information, there is no way to completely determine p(x).

That's assuming that assignment was to determine the two polynomials! You never did say what the assignment was.

Hi

I'm told that the resulting two polynomials are:

I'm told that the resulting two polynomials of degree 3 are:

p(x) = (2 + s - 2t) x^3 + (3 + 2s - 3t) x^2 + s*x + t

q(x) = (-6 + s + 2t) x^3 + (9 - 2s - 3t) x^2 + s*x +t

where s,t belong to R.

But my textbook doesn't have any information on how one can arrive at the above result.

Maybe You Hall can provide me with a hint on howto obtain the above result ?

Sincerley and Best Regards,

Fred

HallsofIvy said:
Restating, you have two 3rd degree polynomials, p and q, such that:
p(0)= -1, p'(0)= 1, q(1)= 3, q'(1)= -2, q(0)= p(0)= -1, q'(0)= p'(0)= 1.

Okay, write p(x)= a0+ a1x+ a2x2+ a3x3 and
q(x)= b0+ b1x+ b2x2+ b3x3

p(0)= a0= -1 and p'(0)= a1= 1. Also, since q(0)= a(0), b0= -1 and since q'(0)= p'(0)= 1, b1= 1.

So far we have p(x)= -1+ x+ a2x2+ a3x3 and since that is all the information given about p(x), I don't see anyway of determining a2 or a3.

We have q(x)= -1+ x+ b2x2+ b3x3
so q(1)= -1+ 1+ b2+ b3= 3
and q'(x)= 1+ 2b22+ 3b2 so
q'(1)= 1+ 2b2+ 3b2= -2.

You can solve those two linear equations for b2 and b3, completely determining q(x) but, unless you are given more information, there is no way to completely determine p(x).

That's assuming that assignment was to determine the two polynomials! You never did say what the assignment was.

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can also include exponents, but not division or square roots.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent that appears on the variable. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 2x + 5, the degree is 2 because the highest exponent on the variable x is 2.

3. How do you add or subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you must combine like terms. This means that terms with the same variable and exponent are grouped together and the coefficients are added or subtracted. For example, (3x^2 + 2x + 5) + (4x^2 + 3x + 7) would become 7x^2 + 5x + 12.

4. What is the difference between a monomial, binomial, and trinomial?

A monomial is a polynomial with one term, such as 5x. A binomial has two terms, such as 3x + 2. A trinomial has three terms, such as 2x^2 + 3x + 1. The names refer to the number of terms in the polynomial.

5. How do you multiply polynomials?

To multiply polynomials, you must use the distributive property. This means that each term in one polynomial must be multiplied by each term in the other polynomial, and then the results are combined. For example, (3x + 2)(2x + 5) would become 6x^2 + 13x + 10.