Simple Harmonic Motion/Wave Motion

In summary, Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion seen in systems where there is a restoring force proportional to the displacement of an object from its equilibrium position. It differs from Wave Motion, which involves the transfer of energy through periodic disturbances. The period of a SHM system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), and is inversely proportional to the frequency, which is related by the formula f = 1/T. Real-life examples of SHM include a pendulum, a mass on a spring, and a swinging door, while examples of Wave Motion include sound waves, water waves, and light waves.
pippermay
Hi,

I need to find the frequency, amplitude, and period for the motion of a particle whose distance s from the origin is the given function.

s= 2sin2tcos2t.

This is what I came up with, can someone please tell me if I am doing this correctly.

sin2t = 2sintcost

s = sin4t

A= 1
P= Pi/2
F= 2/Pi

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. (Assuming that 2t is in radians.)

Thank you so much

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth over a fixed point, with a constant amplitude and frequency. It is often seen in systems where there is a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Wave Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion refers to the back and forth oscillation of an object, while Wave Motion refers to the propagation of energy through a medium via periodic disturbances. While both involve periodic motion, wave motion involves the transfer of energy while SHM does not necessarily.

3. How can we calculate the period of a Simple Harmonic Motion system?

The period, or the time it takes for one complete oscillation, of a SHM system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the system.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and period in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The frequency, or the number of oscillations per unit time, and the period of a SHM system are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa. They are related by the formula f = 1/T.

5. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion and Wave Motion?

Examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include a pendulum, a mass on a spring, and a swinging door. Examples of Wave Motion include sound waves, water waves, and light waves.