How Far Does a Projectile Travel When Fired from a Cliff?

• Thread starter roe
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for the horizontal distance (xf) traveled by a projectile that is shot from a vertical cliff at a speed of 100 m/s and an angle of 35 degrees below the horizon, with the cliff being 60.0 m above the ocean. The solution involves finding the time it takes for the projectile to hit the ground and using trigonometry to calculate the horizontal distance. The initial vertical and horizontal velocities can also be determined using trigonometric identities.
roe
<b>Q:</b>A projectile is shot from the edge of a vertical cliff 60.0 m above the ocean. It has a speed of 100 m/s and is fired at an angle of 35.0 degrees below the horizon. How far from the foot of the vertical cliff does the projectile hit the water?

My take on the problem:
Code:
          |   \
          |    \ 
          |     \
          |______\
  ^          ^ what I'm trying to find (xf)
60m

So what I'm trying to do is figure out how far this projectile will go in the +x direction before it reaches the bottom of the cliff (60 m).

My problem is that I'm getting quite confused as to how to start solving this problem. Please help me get started!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you want to find is how long it takes to hit the ground. From there you'll be able to find everything else. Don't forget that it has an initial vertical velocity..

Hi Roe,
I would start with getting the inside angle, so 90-35. That gives you two angles and one side (60M).

OK, I'm not seeing how to determine when it hits the ground. I've been doing 1-dimensional problems for the last couple of hours but I'm really not understanding how to set this problem up. What I have so far is:

Vxi = (100 m/s) cos 55 degrees = 57.36 m/s
Vyi = (100 m/s) sin 55 degrees = 81.92 m/s

yf = yi +vyi(t) + .5(ay)(t^2)

with yi = 0, yf = -60m, ay = -g, Vyi = 81.92 m/s

so...

-60m = (81.92m/s)(t) - .5(-9.8m/s/s)(t^2)

And then I'd solve the quadratic equation for t.

Am I on the right track with this?

1. What is a simple problem?

A simple problem is a problem or situation that can be easily understood and solved. It typically does not require complex techniques or extensive knowledge to find a solution.

2. How do you identify a simple problem?

A simple problem can be identified by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also often characterized by having a clear and straightforward goal or objective.

3. How do you set up a simple problem?

To set up a simple problem, start by clearly defining the problem and identifying the key variables or factors involved. Then, determine the appropriate approach or method for solving the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes when setting up a simple problem?

Some common mistakes when setting up a simple problem include overlooking important variables or failing to clearly define the problem. It is also important to avoid making assumptions and to double-check calculations.

5. How do you ensure a successful outcome when solving a simple problem?

To ensure a successful outcome when solving a simple problem, it is important to thoroughly understand the problem and its components, use logical reasoning and critical thinking skills, and check the solution for accuracy and completeness.