UK Winter of 1968: Will History Repeat Itself?

• History
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History Uk
In summary: I don't think its that cold, maybe in the mid teens.I don't think its that cold, maybe in the mid teens.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The daily express on its front page is predicting the coldest winter in the uk
since 1968, it states that gas ond other reserverves will not last and that a
3 day working week may be enforced.
Where do they get these long range forcasts from ?

Science news on Phys.org
I think they use the Magic 8 Ball. Hmm, Magic 8 Ball, am I correct about this?

M8B: It is certain.

Well, the ball has spoken.

honestrosewater said:
I think they use the Magic 8 Ball. Hmm, Magic 8 Ball, am I correct about this?

M8B: It is certain.

Well, the ball has spoken.

Magic 8 ball speaks with forked tongue :smile:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1819000,00.html

The idea is that the North Atlantic Oscillation flip flop is due for a strong negative flop that started early october and may remain negative a prolonged period.

http://www.expage.com/winter2005p2

A weak NAO tends to reduce the westerly flows, building high pressure areas around Greenland - Iceland - Ireland, this forces cold Arctic airmasses into western Europe.

But it's rather tentative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andre, i wonder why we get this all the time, they were predicting the
same last year, are they just pointing out the uk power output is marginal in
any case ?

The Gulf Stream is one of the reasons why certain parts of the west of Britain and Ireland are an average of several degrees warmer than most other parts of those countries. Indeed, in Cornwall, and particularly the Isles of Scilly, its effects are such that plants associated with much warmer climates, such as palm trees, are able to survive the rigours of northern winters. Logan Botanic Garden in Scotland benefits strongly from the Gulf Stream, allowing their specimens of Gunnera manicata to grow to over 3 metres tall.

The effects of the Gulf Stream is also important further north. Average monthly temperatures in Røst and Værøy in Lofoten, Norway, inside the arctic circle, never drops below freezing in winter; this represents the worlds largest positive temperature anomaly relative to latitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

Just a note, it's feeling rather chilly here in certain parts of Florida already, and if the Gulf Stream is the main outlet for warmth for Europe... it wouldn't be unsual for it to be little more cool than usual.

motai said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream
Just a note, it's feeling rather chilly here in certain parts of Florida already, and if the Gulf Stream is the main outlet for warmth for Europe... it wouldn't be unsual for it to be little more cool than usual.

Thanks motai, chilly in Florida ? what would that be, below 80f ? :smile:
Right now we have one of the warmest Octobers for years, it is about
70f here, which is most unusual.

We had a lovely day today on the south coast, makes up for all the rain over monday and tuesday though. Think that forecast of a 3 day working week is pretty stupid idea, surely the more time people spend at work the less time they spend at home with the central heating on.

Well here in South Germany the weather was rather extreme as well, 20C or 68F, let me show one of the pictures I shot on my little mountain yesterday:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/Dsc00852-fs-t.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nica pic Andre, i wish i had that kind of sceenery in my back yard :smile:

wolram said:
The daily express on its front page is predicting the coldest winter in the uk
since 1968, it states that gas ond other reserverves will not last and that a
3 day working week may be enforced.
Where do they get these long range forcasts from ?

Thinking that getting colder will result in more Snow, i am looking forward to it *grin*

1. What happened during the UK Winter of 1968?

The UK Winter of 1968 was a period of extreme weather conditions in the United Kingdom. It was characterized by heavy snowfall, freezing temperatures, and strong winds, which resulted in widespread disruption and damage.

2. Will we experience a similar winter in the future?

It is impossible to predict with certainty whether history will repeat itself. However, scientists have noted an increase in extreme weather events due to climate change, so it is possible that we may see another winter with similar conditions in the future.

3. What caused the extreme weather in 1968?

The UK Winter of 1968 was caused by a combination of factors, including a shift in the polar jet stream, which brought cold air from the Arctic down to the UK, and a high-pressure system over Europe, which prevented warmer air from moving in.

4. How did the UK handle the extreme weather in 1968?

The UK government declared a state of emergency and mobilized the military to help with snow clearing and providing essential supplies to isolated communities. Schools and businesses were also forced to close, and public transport was severely disrupted.

5. What lessons can we learn from the UK Winter of 1968?

The UK Winter of 1968 serves as a reminder of the potential impacts of extreme weather events and the importance of being prepared. It also highlights the need for countries to take action on climate change to mitigate the frequency and severity of these events in the future.