How can I find the radius of this circle?

In summary, points A, B, C, and D lie on a circle with center O and TA is the tangent to the circle at A. The given information includes TA = 7.1 cm, AD = 4.5 cm, angle BDA = 36 degrees, and angle DAT = 28 degrees. To find the radius of the circle and determine if OT bisects AD, the circle property is used to find angle BOA = 72 degrees, BCA = 144 degrees, and OAD = 62 degrees. To prove the bisection, AD is divided into two with point E and the bisector of AD is drawn from O to the line AT, creating point F. From triangle
Natasha1
A, B, C, D are points on a circle of centre O and TA is the tangent to the circle at A.

TA = 7.1 cm
AD = 4.5 cm

Basically if we were to draw this circle we would first draw (Clockwise) the point D on the circle then A then C and then B.
Point T being outside of the circle slightly on the right of it.

Now angle BDA = 36 degrees and DAT = 28 degrees

From this info I need to find the radius of the circle and say if OT bisects AD?

I have demonstrated (using the circle property) that angle BOA = 72 degrees and BCA = 144 degrees and also OAD = 62 degrees.

But how can I find the radius and prove the bisection? Please any hints or answers to this treaky one :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide AD in two with a point E. Now from the triangle OAE you get OA=AE/cos(62).

Draw the bisector of AD from O to the line AT, call the point it makes on line AT point F. The projection of AF onto AD is AE, from this we get AF=AE/cos(28)=2,55 cm, which is not equal to TA and thus OT does not bisect AD (OF does).

edit: seems deceptively simple, maybe i missed something?

- Kamataat

Last edited:
seems right thanks

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of a circle?

The formula for calculating the radius of a circle is r = C/2π, where r is the radius, C is the circumference, and π is approximately 3.14.

2. How do I measure the radius of a circle using a ruler?

To measure the radius of a circle using a ruler, place the ruler on the edge of the circle and measure the distance from one edge to the center. This measurement is the radius of the circle.

3. Can I use the diameter to find the radius of a circle?

Yes, you can use the diameter to find the radius of a circle. The formula for finding the radius using the diameter is r = d/2, where d is the diameter.

4. How many decimal places should I round the radius to?

The number of decimal places you should round the radius to depends on the accuracy of your measurements and the precision required for your calculations. Generally, rounding to 2 or 3 decimal places is sufficient for most practical applications.

5. Is the radius the same as the distance from the center of the circle to any point on its circumference?

Yes, the radius is the same as the distance from the center of the circle to any point on its circumference. This is because a circle is a symmetrical shape, and all radii are equal in length.