Simplifying Vector Analysis Derivatives with \nabla \times \vec{A}: Expert Tips

In summary: Hey Hassan2.Try expanding out the cross product of del and A first.Also when you say the vector derivative, are the elements of each vector mapped to the same corresponding element in the other? In other words if A = [x0,y0,z0] and B = [x1,y1,z1] then is x0 = f(x1), y0 = g(y1) and z0 = h(z1) (and the components are completely orthogonal)?
Hassan2
Dear all,

I have two vector fields [itex] \vec{B}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] related by:

[itex] \vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}[/itex]

How can I simplify the following term:

[itex]\frac{\partial }{\partial \vec{A}} B^{2}[/itex]

where [itex]\frac{\partial }{\partial \vec{A}}=(\frac{\partial }{\partial A_{x}} \frac{\partial }{\partial A_{y}} \frac{\partial }{\partial A_{z}} )[/itex]

I would also like to know what are this kind of derivatives ( derivatives with respect to a vector field) called.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hassan2 said:
Dear all,

I have two vector fields [itex] \vec{B}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] related by:

[itex] \vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}[/itex]

How can I simplify the following term:

[itex]\frac{\partial }{\partial \vec{A}} B^{2}[/itex]

where [itex]\frac{\partial }{\partial \vec{A}}=(\frac{\partial }{\partial A_{x}} \frac{\partial }{\partial A_{y}} \frac{\partial }{\partial A_{z}} )[/itex]

I would also like to know what are this kind of derivatives ( derivatives with respect to a vector field) called.

Thanks.

Hey Hassan2.

Try expanding out the cross product of del and A first.

Also when you say the vector derivative, are the elements of each vector mapped to the same corresponding element in the other? In other words if A = [x0,y0,z0] and B = [x1,y1,z1] then is x0 = f(x1), y0 = g(y1) and z0 = h(z1) (and the components are completely orthogonal)?

If this is the case, you will be able to expand del X A using the determinant formulation and simplify terms depending on how you define your elements of your vector (even if they are more general than above).

The elements of the vectors are NOT mapped correspondingly. In fact the first equation is the definition of B, thus, the components are intertwined.

I couldn't simplify it by expanding the curl.It results in partial derivatives of second order multiplied by partial derivatives of first order.

Thanks.

What is vector analysis and why is it important?

Vector analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze and describe the motion of objects in space. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as the motion of planets, the flow of fluids, and the movement of particles.

What are the basic principles of vector analysis?

The basic principles of vector analysis include vector addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Vectors are represented by arrows with a specific magnitude and direction, and they can be added or subtracted using the head-to-tail method. Vector multiplication involves finding the dot product or cross product of two vectors.

What are some real-world applications of vector analysis?

Vector analysis is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze forces and motion in mechanical systems, to design structures and buildings, and to create 3D models in computer graphics. It is also used in navigation systems and GPS technology.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using vector analysis?

One common mistake is confusing the magnitude and direction of a vector. The magnitude is the length of the vector, while the direction is the angle at which it is pointing. Another mistake is not properly considering the coordinate system being used, which can result in incorrect calculations. It is also important to pay attention to the units of the vectors being used and to make sure they are consistent throughout the analysis.

What resources can I use to improve my understanding of vector analysis?

There are many online resources available, such as tutorials, videos, and practice problems, that can help improve your understanding of vector analysis. You can also consult textbooks or attend workshops or courses on the subject. Additionally, practicing and applying vector analysis to real-world problems can greatly enhance your understanding and skills.