Buoyant Force of sand and steel

In summary: Your answer is more accurate.In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the volume of a sand core using the buoyancy force and the densities of steel and sand. The correct method involves rearranging equations and substituting values to solve for the volume. The final answer should be around 3.7 m^3, with a more accurate value for g being 9.807 m/s^2. The given answer of 3698 cm^3 may have been rounded off from a less accurate calculation.
Killswitch
I am just not too sure how to start this equation. The answer was given (i.e. Vc = 3698 cm^3), but I just need to know the steps on how to get to the answer.

A sand core used to form the internal surfaces of a steel casting experiences a buoyancy force of 225.63 N. What is the volume of the sand core in cm cubed.

Steel Density: 7.82 g/cm^3
Sand Core Density: 1.6 g/cm^3

Fb = Wm - Wc
Wc = (Mc)(Gravity) & Wm = (Mm)(Gravity)
D = M/V

I have tried rearranging the equation: 225.63 N = Wm - Wc --> Wm = 225.63 + Wc
Then substituting it into the equation: Wm = (Mm)(Gravity) --> 225.62 + Wc = (Mm)(Gravity)
I then isolate the... I pretty much get lost after that.

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

First, the definition is that the buoyancy force equals mass of object (sand core) minus mass of displaced fluid (steel), that is, the negative of what you wrote.

Secondly, from that definition you can see that you also need to use the fact, that the mass of the displaced fluid is calculated from the volume of the object, that is with your terms you should use that Wc = Mcg = VDcg and Wm = VDmg. It should now be possible for you to relate the buoyancy force with the volume V, the difference in density Dm-Dc and the acceleration of gravity g and isolate for V.

Thanks

I substituted the equations for Wm and Wc into the Fb formula:
225.63 N = (V * 7.82 g/cm^3 * 9.8 m/s^2) - (V * 1.6 g/cm^3 * 9.8 m/s^2)
I came up with the answer 3.7 m^3. Can anyone confirm if this is right or whether I just got a lucky answer close to the real one? The answer I was given was 3698 cm^3.

Killswitch said:
Thanks

I substituted the equations for Wm and Wc into the Fb formula:
225.63 N = (V * 7.82 g/cm^3 * 9.8 m/s^2) - (V * 1.6 g/cm^3 * 9.8 m/s^2)
I came up with the answer 3.7 m^3. Can anyone confirm if this is right or whether I just got a lucky answer close to the real one? The answer I was given was 3698 cm^3.

Your method is okay. Keep a few more decimal places and use a more accurate value for g and you'll be good. g = 9.807 m/s2 is a good to three decimal places.

Looks good to me. Whoever calculated the answer of 3698 cm3 probably used a value of g around 9.81 m/s2 and rounded of the volume to nearest cm3.

What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water) on an object immersed in it, due to the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

How does buoyant force affect objects made of different materials?

Buoyant force affects objects made of different materials differently. Objects with a higher density than the fluid will sink, while objects with a lower density than the fluid will float.

How does the buoyant force of sand and steel compare?

The buoyant force of sand and steel is significantly different due to their different densities. Steel has a much higher density than sand, so it will sink in water while sand will float.

What is the relationship between the density of an object and its buoyant force?

The density of an object is directly related to its buoyant force. Objects with a higher density will experience a greater downward force from gravity, causing a larger difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object and resulting in a stronger upward buoyant force.

How can the buoyant force of an object be calculated?

The buoyant force of an object can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity (F = ρVg). This equation is known as Archimedes' principle.