Which Career Path Should I Choose: Math, Engineering, or Premed?

• Thread starter happyguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, my brother enjoyed physics and found it to be a very fulfilling major. He thinks that it is important to have a secondary major in case you need to use your knowledge in the real world. Some people also have suggested engineering as a possible major for you, citing the combination of physics and math as a strong selling point.
happyguy
hey guys, so march 1st is coming up and i still haven't applied to university. I can't seem to decide what I want to study.

I'm doing cal II right now, and math has always been a passion and interest for me. However, I find the classes usually boring (I get good marks though >95% for math). Stuff like math competitions and proofs are what interests me. I'm thinking of applied math mostly since that will give me (I think) a broad range of opportunities. Ideally, I'd like to do at least a masters if I choose math. Also If i choose math should I do a double degree, like with comp. sci or physics or something?

I really liked physics when I first did it in high school but after coming to college ("CEGEP" - Quebec system) and doing Mechanics & waves I seem to be almost on the verge of disliking it. Chem never interested me so that's out of the picture.

Now if I choose to do on more year of CEGEP I can apply to premed (1 year) and then go into med school. The problem is that the last time I did Bio was in Grade 9 and it was really basic stuff like the different systems. Although I normally hate memorizing I remember liking bio a lot. Why med? That's what I'm trying to figure out too :). It pays well, probably better than the other paths I listed, and lots of openings here in Quebec.

The only other choice I can think of is engineering (don't know which one - maybe ee?) since the way I see it, it's a combination of physics & math and I can probably make more money with a bachelors in engineering than in math (if i never end up doing graduate studies for some unforeseen reason).

I know I listed money as a reason once or twice and many people will disagree but I believe that personally, making a decent amount of money is an important factor. Also note that I have the marks to get in any of the listed choices (not trying to show off) Any suggestions or opinion? All feedback will be appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
your description reminded me of the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Perhaps if you list all the pros and cons of each choice the answer might become clear.

When my brother was on the verge of going to college he didn't know what he wanted either so we discussed his interests from math to model planes to computeres to whole bunch of other stuff. I suggested Physics and he scoffed saying why because you majored in it and I said no because it was the one umbrella that covered all of your interests.

Wrt to CompSci, its always good to have a secondary major because in the real world you may have to apply your compsci knowledge to some physical problem. There's a lot of computational fields now such as comp physics, comp biology... take your pick.

Also in the first year of college its not uncommon for many people to change their majors as learn what it means to follow a given major all the way. You might like math until you hit topology and then realize that mathematical proof for math's sake is not for you but if you persevere you will see whole vistas open to you.

jedishrfu said:
your description reminded me of the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Perhaps if you list all the pros and cons of each choice the answer might become clear.

When my brother was on the verge of going to college he didn't know what he wanted either so we discussed his interests from math to model planes to computeres to whole bunch of other stuff. I suggested Physics and he scoffed saying why because you majored in it and I said no because it was the one umbrella that covered all of your interests.

Wrt to CompSci, its always good to have a secondary major because in the real world you may have to apply your compsci knowledge to some physical problem. There's a lot of computational fields now such as comp physics, comp biology... take your pick.

Also in the first year of college its not uncommon for many people to change their majors as learn what it means to follow a given major all the way. You might like math until you hit topology and then realize that mathematical proof for math's sake is not for you but if you persevere you will see whole vistas open to you.

did your brother end up going into physics & if so, does he enjoy it? Does anyone else also have any suggestions?

Yes he did and he got phd in applied physics and is now working in industry as a programmer. As he's still working in the same field for many years I'd say he's enjoying it.

As a scientist, my suggestion would be to follow your passion and interests. It seems like you have a strong interest in math and that you have excelled in it so far. If you enjoy math competitions and proofs, then pursuing a degree in applied math would be a great choice. Additionally, having a broad range of opportunities with a math degree is a valuable asset in today's job market.

If you are considering a double degree, I would recommend looking into computer science as it complements math very well and can open up even more opportunities for you. Physics may not be the best fit for you, as you mentioned not enjoying it as much in college. It's important to choose a path that you will enjoy and be passionate about, as that will ultimately lead to a successful and fulfilling career.

While it's understandable to consider the financial aspect of your career choice, I would caution against making it the main factor. It's important to have a stable and well-paying job, but if you are not happy in your career, it can ultimately lead to dissatisfaction and burnout. That being said, both engineering and math can lead to financially rewarding careers, so it's important to choose the one that aligns with your interests and strengths.

In terms of medical school, it's important to carefully consider if it's the right path for you. It's a long and challenging journey, and it's important to have a genuine interest in the field of medicine and helping others. If you are unsure about your interest in biology, it may be worth exploring more before committing to a premed program.

Overall, my advice would be to follow your passion and choose a path that aligns with your interests and strengths. It's also important to keep an open mind and explore different options before making a decision. Good luck with your decision and future studies!

1. What is the difference between math, engineering, and premed?

Math is a broad field that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes. Engineering is the application of math and science principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, and other systems. Premed, short for pre-medical, refers to the undergraduate coursework and activities that prepare students for medical school.

2. What skills are required for a career in math, engineering, or premed?

Mathematical proficiency, problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail are important for all three fields. In engineering, creativity and teamwork are also essential. Premed students should have a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, and physics, as well as excellent interpersonal skills.

3. What are some common misconceptions about these fields?

One common misconception is that math is only about numbers and equations, when in fact it has applications in many other fields such as economics, cryptography, and computer science. Another misconception is that engineering is only for people who are good at math, when in reality it also requires strong communication and problem-solving skills. Some people may also think that premed is the only path to becoming a doctor, when there are many other healthcare professions that do not require medical school.

4. What are some career options for math, engineering, or premed majors?

Math majors can pursue careers in fields such as data analysis, actuarial science, or teaching. Engineering graduates can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, biomedical, and environmental engineering. Premed students can become doctors, but they can also become physician assistants, nurses, or public health professionals.

5. What can I do to prepare for a degree in math, engineering, or premed?

For math and engineering, taking advanced math and science classes in high school can help prepare you for college coursework. You can also gain experience through internships, research opportunities, or projects. For premed, it is important to maintain a high GPA and get involved in extracurricular activities related to healthcare, such as volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a doctor.