Waking Life (the movie)

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Movie
In summary, "Waking Life" is a highly thought-provoking and emotionally impactful movie. While some may criticize it for being pretentious, the film's unique presentation of philosophical ideas makes it a must-watch. It also explores the concept of lucid dreaming, which can be a valuable tool for self-discovery. Overall, "Waking Life" is an experience that will make you both think and feel.
Entropia
Anybody ever seen the movie "waking life"?

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
isn't it just the BEST movie?? i saw it ages ago but will never forget it. i spent all day today at an accordian workshop thinking 'why can't i play like that?', the soundtrack is as good as the movie, but the movie...

some, infact, a lot of people say the waking life is just a pretentious attempt at being philosophical and has no merit as a movie or a work of philosophy. personally i found this movie to be simply too breathtaking to even consider the pretentious possibilities, yes maybe they did go a bit philosophy student wank but i simply don't give a damn! the philosophy wasn't revolutionary, there were lots of interesting ideas that deserved such an exploration, but it was more the presentation of these ideas that made this movie great. it might not have made you think anything new (if you were a thoughtful and learned sort of person) but it just made you THINK! but more importantly, feel! this movie is an experience, ideas shmideas, essentially it's about how you feel. there is a bit where something funny happens, or is said, and everyone around you in the theatre laughs, a deep true laugh with no cares, and then there is this moment, and you turn around and everyone has tears in their eyes.

the most shocking thing for me watching this movie was realising how some things i thought unique to my dreams were actually universal, and now i can actually recognise those things and engage in lucid dreaming as is suggested by the movie, there is no philosphical experiment more worthwhile then a good lucid dream, i have discussed here before my experiences with trying to convince someone they don't exist, makes you really think...

a site on lucid dreaming:
http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html

Yes, I have seen the movie "Waking Life" and it was a very thought-provoking and unique film. The animation style and philosophical themes were captivating and left a lasting impression on me. It's a movie that raises deep questions about the nature of reality and our perception of it, and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys thought-provoking and visually stunning films. Have you seen it? What did you think?

What is the plot of "Waking Life"?

"Waking Life" follows the story of a young man who finds himself in a series of dreams that blur the line between reality and fantasy. He meets various characters who discuss philosophical and existential topics, leaving him questioning the nature of his own existence.

Who directed "Waking Life"?

"Waking Life" was directed by Richard Linklater, an American filmmaker known for his work on films such as "Boyhood" and "Dazed and Confused".

Is "Waking Life" based on a true story?

No, "Waking Life" is not based on a true story. It is a work of fiction that explores philosophical and existential themes through dream-like sequences.

What is the animation style used in "Waking Life"?

"Waking Life" was created using a technique called rotoscoping, where live-action footage is traced over frame by frame to create an animated effect. This gives the film a unique and surreal visual style.

What is the significance of the title "Waking Life"?

The title "Waking Life" refers to the idea that life itself can feel like a dream, and that reality and dreams can often be indistinguishable. It also reflects the film's exploration of existential questions and the search for meaning in our waking lives.