Tangential Acceleration problem

In summary: Oh ya, correct, my mistake. It's just that you don't need to know alpha to find a_t in this problem. I think I made another mistake too; if the given angle is measured above the horizontal, the tangential component of the weight is mgcos theta, not mg sin theta. Sorry, bad day.I checked it out
John O' Meara
A light rigid rod 1.0m long has a small block of mass.05kg attached at one end. The other end is pivoted, and the rod rotates in a vertical circle. At a certain instant, the rod is 36.9 degrees above the horizontal, and the tangential speed of the block is 4m/s. (a) What are the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity of the block? (b) What is the moment of inertia of the block? (c) What is the radial acceleration of the block? (d) What is the tangential acceleration of the block? (e) What is the tension or compression in the rod?
Answers: (a) 3.2m/s and 2.4m/s.
(b) L=Iw => I=m*v*r/w=.05kg.m^2.
(c) a_radial=v^2/r=16 rad/s^2.
(d) a_tangential = r*(alpha), where alpha = angular acceleration. This is where my problem is.
(e) Fr=m*a_radial=.8N outwards. It is compressed by m*g*sin(36.9)=.294N, therefore T=.506N.
Where a_ is acceleration, Fr is radial force, w=angular velocity, L is angular momentum, mass=m, velocity = v. Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
And what is your question?

My question is in part (d) What is the tangential acceleration of the block. If you know the answer please help. Thanks.

Consider Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion.

John O' Meara said:
My question is in part (d) What is the tangential acceleration of the block. If you know the answer please help. Thanks.
The problem is that you have equated angular acceleration with centripetal acceleration. This is not correct; they are separate entities. Calculate the component of the weight in the direction of the tangent to the curve. This is the only force acting in that direction (the tension force acts perpendicular to it inward). Then use F=ma to solve for the tangential acceleration. Since F_t = mg sin theta = ma_t, then solve a_t = g sin theta.

PhanthomJay said:
The problem is that you have equated angular acceleration with centripetal acceleration.
Where did he do that?

Doc Al said:
Where did he do that?
where he said under (d)
a_t = (alpha)*r

PhanthomJay said:
where he said under (d)
a_t = (alpha)*r
That seems correct to me. (No mention of centripetal acceleration here.)

Part (d), I know is a mistake as (alpha) means angular acceleration.

John O' Meara said:
Part (d), I know is a mistake as (alpha) means angular acceleration.
Why is it a mistake?? (Tangential acceleration and angular acceleration are directly related.)

Doc Al said:
Why is it a mistake?? (Tangential acceleration and angular acceleration are directly related.)
Oh ya, correct, my mistake. It's just that you don't need to know alpha to find a_t in this problem. I think I made another mistake too; if the given angle is measured above the horizontal, the tangential component of the weight is mgcos theta, not mg sin theta. Sorry, bad day.

I checked it out I was not wrong after all.Thanks for the help.

What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity with respect to time. It measures how fast an object's speed is changing along its circular path.

How is tangential acceleration related to centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are both components of an object's total acceleration in circular motion. Tangential acceleration is responsible for the object's change in speed, while centripetal acceleration is responsible for the object's change in direction towards the center of the circle.

What is the formula for calculating tangential acceleration?

The formula for tangential acceleration is a = rα, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and α is the angular acceleration of the object.

How does tangential acceleration affect an object's motion?

Tangential acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its speed along its circular path. If tangential acceleration is positive, the object's speed will increase, and if it is negative, the speed will decrease. This acceleration also causes the object to constantly change direction, resulting in circular motion.

What factors can affect tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration can be affected by factors such as the object's mass, the radius of its circular path, and the magnitude of the angular acceleration. External forces, such as friction, can also impact the object's tangential acceleration.