Consistent with special relativity?

In summary, the problem involves two spacecraft moving in opposite directions with a speed of 0.8c. The observer on the ground measures the separation of the spacecraft as increasing at a rate of 1.60c. This observation is not contradictory to the theory of special relativity because it is not a physical object that is moving at 1.60c.
ZephyrWest
Here's the problem:

Two identical spacecraft are moving in opposite directions each with a speed of 0.80c as measured by an observer on the ground. The observer on the ground measures the separation of the spacecraft as increasing at a rate of 1.60c.

Explain how this observation is consistent with the theory of special relativity.

I know that nothing can exceed the speed of light c. So is it consistent with special relativity because it is not a physical object that is moving at 1.60c? I'm asking because I'm really not sure if I'm correct.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand relativistic velocity addition but am not sure how to apply it to this situation. Can you please explain?

Explain how this observation is consistent with the theory of special relativity.
Are you asking how the space can be increasing by that much & yet none of those two spaceships measures a superluminal speed ... ? Ordinary velocity addition doesn't apply.

Well, the simple answer here is that "separation rate" is not a speed. Speed is measured between two objects, not three. So it is perfectly fine to say that according to the 3rd observer, the two spacecraft are separating at 1.6C. That isn't contradicting SR because it isn't saying anything about a speed.

Last edited:
Hmmm... ok. From the frame of reference of one of the spacecraft s, is the separation rate, or speed, this?

[tex]\frac{0.80c + 0.80c}{1 + \frac{(0.80c)(0.80c)}{c^2}} = \frac{1.60c}{1.64} = 0.976c[/tex]

And, what is "contradiction SR"?

ZephyrWest said:
Here's the problem:

I know that nothing can exceed the speed of light c. So is it consistent with special relativity because it is not a physical object that is moving at 1.60c? I'm asking because I'm really not sure if I'm correct.

Thanks for your help.

1. SR precludes one massive object from moving at a speed equal or larger than c.(photons having zero mass move at c)

2. In your example you are dealing with two separate objects closing on each other at a net speed v>c. SR does not preclude this, actually speeds as large as 2c are acceptable in SR.

ZephyrWest said:
Hmmm... ok. From the frame of reference of one of the spacecraft s, is the separation rate, or speed, this?

[tex]\frac{0.80c + 0.80c}{1 + \frac{(0.80c)(0.80c)}{c^2}} = \frac{1.60c}{1.64} = 0.976c[/tex]

This example above simply says that if a rocket flies in the +x direction at 0.8c and you are observing it from another rocket flying at 0.8c in the -x direction, you would measure the other rocket receding from you at 0.976c.
The observer in your original problem sees you and the other rocket receding away from each other at 1.6c.
The difference is quite clear now, right?

Yes, so if I was in one of the rockets, I would see the other moving traveling away away from me at 0.976c.

The external observer on the ground would see the two rockets traveling away from each other at 1.6c. This is possible because special relativity permits two separate objects to have a net speed greater than c, but not one object.

Did I get it right? :)

ZephyrWest said:
Yes, so if I was in one of the rockets, I would see the other moving traveling away away from me at 0.976c.

The external observer on the ground would see the two rockets traveling away from each other at 1.6c. This is possible because special relativity permits two separate objects to have a net speed greater than c, but not one object.

Did I get it right? :)

perfect :-)

ZephyrWest said:
A typo... (fixed)

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

What does it mean for something to be "consistent with special relativity"?

When something is consistent with special relativity, it means that it adheres to the principles and predictions of the theory. This means that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion. Any theory or observation that goes against these principles would not be considered consistent with special relativity.

How does special relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It has fundamentally changed our understanding of space and time, showing that they are not absolute but rather relative concepts. It has also led to the development of theories such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, which have further expanded our understanding of the universe.

What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology. One of the most well-known is the Global Positioning System (GPS), which relies on the principles of special relativity to accurately determine locations on Earth. It also plays a crucial role in particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and other advanced technologies.

Are there any experiments or observations that have confirmed special relativity?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments and observations that have confirmed the predictions of special relativity. One of the most famous is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which demonstrated the constancy of the speed of light. Other experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and the Pound-Rebka experiment, have also confirmed various predictions of special relativity.