Vertical tangents of parametric curves

In summary, vertical tangents occur at a parametric curve when the derivative of the curve is undefined, which can happen when dx/dt = 0 and dy/dt does not. However, there are cases in which the slope is undefined but not infinite, such as the curve given by x= t^2, y= t^2. This is because some sources use the term "undefined" for when the denominator is 0 and the numerator is not, while others use "undetermined" for 0/0. "Undefined" in the former sense does indicate a vertical tangent.
ratios
I learned that vertifcal tangents occur at a parametric curve if the derivative of the curve is undefined. That is given dy/dx = dy/dt / dx/dt, a vertical tangent occurs when dx/dt = 0.

I don't understand why this is so. I know that vertical tangents occur when the slope is infinite, but if dx/dt = 0, dy/dx is undefined. I understand that when the slope is infinite it is undefined, but there are cases in which the slope is undefined, and yet it is not infinite, right? Or is it true that for parametric curves, all undefined slopes are infinite?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to recheck your information. For one thing, I'm not clear what you mean by "the derivative of the curve"!

In any case, the curve given by x= t2, y= t2 has dy/dt= 2t, dx/dt= 2t which are 0 at t= 0 and so dy/dx is "undefined" (according to you). But obviously that curve is just y= x which has derivative 1 everywhere and never has a vertical tangent.

My reason for writing "(according to you)" was that many books use the term "undefined" only for the case when the denominator is 0 and the numerator is NOT and use the term "undetermined" for 0/0. "Undefined" in that sense (here, dx/dt= 0 but dy/dt does not) does in fact mean there is a vertical tangent.

1. What does it mean for a parametric curve to have a vertical tangent?

A vertical tangent of a parametric curve occurs when the slope of the curve is undefined, or infinite, at a certain point. This means that the curve has a sharp, vertical direction at that point.

2. How can I determine if a parametric curve has a vertical tangent?

To determine if a parametric curve has a vertical tangent, you can calculate the derivative of the curve with respect to the parameter. If the derivative is undefined or infinite at a certain point, then the curve has a vertical tangent at that point.

3. Can a parametric curve have more than one vertical tangent?

Yes, it is possible for a parametric curve to have multiple vertical tangents. This occurs when the derivative of the curve with respect to the parameter is undefined or infinite at multiple points.

4. What is the significance of a vertical tangent in a parametric curve?

A vertical tangent in a parametric curve indicates a change in direction or steepness of the curve at that point. It can also represent a point of discontinuity in the curve.

5. How can vertical tangents of parametric curves be useful in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, vertical tangents of parametric curves can be used to identify critical points or points of inflection. They can also be used to calculate the rate of change or the slope of the curve at a specific point.