How do you move ten feet?

• Thread starter micron
  • Start date
In summary, the problem presented by the physics teacher is to move at least ten feet without the use of a motor, human propulsion or wheels. The student has thought of using a ramp and a "sled" with ice or soap to reduce friction, but their teacher suggested a less elaborate solution involving soap. However, the problem arises when the student is unsure of how to move someone ten feet without using human propulsion, motors, or wheels, and with less complication than making a ramp. Suggestions such as throwing the person in orbit, rolling down a steep hill, and making a soap boat were given, but the teacher clarified that the movement must be in a horizontal direction. Ultimately, the teacher suggested shifting the frame of reference to the center of
micron
My physics teacher presented us with an interesting problem, but I can't think of a resonable solution. The task is to:

Move at least ten feet without the use of a motor, human propulsion or wheels.

I have thought of several ways of solving this problem, but all of them would involve creating complex apparatuses. For example using a ramp and a "sled" with ice or soap on it to reduce friction, but my teacher said that their was a less elablorate way of doing it. She did say that the way she was thinking of involves soap, which I'm guessing is to reduce friction, but she hinted that it was not necesary to use a ramp, so therin lies my problem:

How do you move someone ten feet without using human propultion, motors, or wheels, and with less complication then making a ramp?

Physics news on Phys.org
This could be dangerous to your health, but if you are perched on the edge of a roof, the 10 feet of movement becomes pretty danged easy.

Throw them in orbit. They'll move a lot more than 10 feet without any added force.

cookiemonster

I forgot to mention that the movement must be in the horizontal direction, in other words a straight line measure of ten feet parallel to the ground.

I still say throw them in orbit. The "straight line" is a little curved, but it's still always parallel to the ground (in a circular orbit, anyway)!

cookiemonster

Thats at least a little bit more ellaborate then creating a ramp, which my teach said is more ellaborate then necessary.

Get on a steep hill then roll down. Gravity is propelling you and you are still moving parallel to the ground.

Shift your frame of reference to the center of the earth, and you just moved a lot more than 10 feet while you read this.

1. How do you physically move ten feet?

Moving ten feet requires the contraction and relaxation of muscles in your legs, hips, and core. As you push off with one foot, the other foot moves forward to maintain balance. This process is repeated until you have moved ten feet.

2. Can you move ten feet in any direction?

Yes, as long as there is enough space and no physical barriers, you can move ten feet in any direction. Your body is capable of moving forward, backward, sideways, and even diagonally.

3. What factors affect how quickly you can move ten feet?

The speed at which you can move ten feet depends on various factors, including your physical fitness, body weight, the terrain, and the type of movement (walking, running, etc.). Other factors such as age, injuries, and external forces can also affect your speed.

4. Is there a difference in how you move ten feet on different surfaces?

Yes, the surface you are moving on can impact how you move ten feet. For example, moving on a flat, smooth surface may be easier and faster than moving on an uneven or slippery surface. Different surfaces also require different types of movement, such as walking on pavement versus walking on sand.

5. How does the environment affect your movement of ten feet?

The environment can play a significant role in how you move ten feet. Factors such as temperature, humidity, altitude, and air quality can impact your body's ability to move efficiently. Additionally, obstacles and distractions in the environment can affect your movement by requiring you to adjust your speed or direction.