Aerospace eng. considering a Double Major? Minor?

In summary, The speaker is an aerospace engineering sophomore interested in pursuing a double major or minor in a related field. They are considering options such as Green Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Math (specifically Applied and Computational Mathematics), and Physics. They are unsure of what would be most useful for them and what would be most appealing to future employers. They are open to suggestions for other fields to pursue and are reminded of the importance of mastering their major before adding a double major or minor. The speaker also notes the importance of complementary majors and the potential for specializing within their major field. They stress the importance of pursuing areas that are personally interesting rather than focusing on what would look good to employers. In conclusion, employers value skilled, competent, self-directed,
woleka
I am an aerospace engineering sophomore, and i am interested in double majoring or minoring in a related field.

Some minors/double majors i am considering include:
Green Engineering, Ocean Engineering
Math, perhaps Applied and Computational Mathematics
Physics

I'm not really sure what would be most useful for me,
and also what would be most appealing for future employers.

Perhaps there are other things i can dedicate my time towards rather than a minor/double major that would be more beneficial?

If anyone has any ideas on other possible fields i should consider or has any insight with regards to my questions above, please post!

A.W

Physics news on Phys.org
One needs to master the material in ones major/discpline.

Doing two majors will not be impressive if one does not do well. That is one consideration.

If one does a double major, it would help if they are complementary, e.g. aerospace/mechanical engineering, or aerospace/materials science (or engineering), or aerospace/computational mathematics.

It also depends what specialty on pursues within one's major field. For example, in aerospace engineering one could specialize in structures and structural engineering (and materials science or engineering would be a good complement), fluid mechanics (in which case computational math or possibly ocean engineering would be complementary), power systems (mech eng would be complementary especially courses on turbomachinery), avionics and control systems/theory (so EE would be a good complement).

Don't think about what looks good on a resume or to an prospective employer. Rather, do well in one's major or major/minor or double major in areas that are interesting to oneself.

Employers want employees who are skilled, competent, self-directed, self-motivated, clever, diligent, . . . .

ell, first of all, congratulations on considering the option of double majoring or minoring in a related field! This shows that you are dedicated to expanding your knowledge and skills beyond just aerospace engineering.

As for what would be most useful for you and appealing to future employers, it really depends on your personal interests and career goals. A minor or double major in green engineering could be beneficial if you are interested in sustainability and environmentally-friendly design in the aerospace industry. Ocean engineering could also be a valuable addition if you are interested in working on projects involving marine vehicles or structures.

Math and physics are also great options as they provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles and theories behind aerospace engineering. Applied and Computational Mathematics could be particularly useful in the field of aerospace as it involves using mathematical models and computer simulations to solve engineering problems.

However, it's important to also consider the time and effort that would be required to complete a double major or minor. If you feel like you may not have enough time to dedicate to these additional courses, there are other ways you can expand your knowledge and skills in related fields. For example, you could take electives in these areas or participate in extracurricular activities or projects that involve green or ocean engineering, math, or physics.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a path that aligns with your interests and career goals. Keep researching and exploring your options, and don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in the field for their insights and advice. Good luck!

1. What is aerospace engineering and why is it important?

Aerospace engineering is a field of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It is important because it allows us to explore and understand the world beyond our planet, as well as improve and advance air travel and transportation.

2. Can I double major in aerospace engineering and another field?

Yes, it is possible to double major in aerospace engineering and another field. However, it may require careful planning and time management, as both majors may have a heavy course load.

3. What are some common minors that complement an aerospace engineering major?

Some common minors that complement an aerospace engineering major include mathematics, physics, computer science, and materials science. These subjects provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles and concepts of aerospace engineering.

4. How does a minor in another field benefit an aerospace engineering major?

A minor in another field can benefit an aerospace engineering major by providing a well-rounded education and a diverse skill set. For example, a minor in computer science can be useful in developing skills in computer-aided design (CAD) software, which is commonly used in aerospace engineering.

5. Are there any specific career paths that a double major in aerospace engineering and another field can lead to?

Yes, a double major in aerospace engineering and another field can lead to a variety of career paths. Some possible options include working for aerospace companies, government agencies, research institutions, or pursuing graduate studies in a related field. It can also open up opportunities in fields such as aviation, defense, and space exploration.