Why is My Voltage Lower than Standard Cell Potential?

In summary: If you are not getting close to the standard potential, it might be worth trying a different salt bridge or even a different electrolyte.
Calle
I have set up a Galvanic cell and used filter paper that is soaked in KCl as salt bridge. The electrolyte I used is 1M and the experiment is carried out in room temperature. However, I am unable to obtain the standard cell potential. The voltage values I obtained was lower.

I was thinking maybe the salt bridge is not good enough, so I added more filter paper strips. The voltage did increase, but I thought the salt bridge should not affect the results?

Is it impossible to obtain the standard cell potential? Could it be the resistance of the voltmeter? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How far off are you? What two metals are you using?

try this http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/halfcell.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

I am using copper and zinc in copper (II) sulphate and zinc sulphate solutions. The voltage i obtained is about 0.3 volt away from the standard 1.1 volt after i added more layers of filter papers.

I tried to decrease the zinc ions in the solution by diluting the solution and the voltage increased. Why is that so?

Calle said:
I am using copper and zinc in copper (II) sulphate and zinc sulphate solutions. The voltage i obtained is about 0.3 volt away from the standard 1.1 volt after i added more layers of filter papers.

It could be that the salt bridge is not very conductive for some reason. Adding additional papers lowers the resistance of the circut.

Calle said:
I tried to decrease the zinc ions in the solution by diluting the solution and the voltage increased. Why is that so?

In this redox couple which metal is being oxidized (solubilized) and which is reduced? For the metal that is oxidized, the soluble ion of that metal represents the product of the reaction. How might removing (through dilution) the product of the oxidation (soluble metal ion) affect the reaction? Review the Nernst equation.

>>> Is it impossible to obtain the standard cell potential?

No, but if I can remember correctly this should only occur briefly. When both Copper and Zinc are both 1M in solution it should be at standard potential...as soon as the current starts running the concentration of one ion in solution increases while the other decreases...the moment that happens the observed voltage starts to change away from the standard potential (when you changed the zinc concentration in solution a similar effect occured). As chemistree said the Nernst equation describes this.

If you are far off from expectations, it might be wise to check the copper and zinc solutions you are using for the inital voltage check (check the molarity of each with titration and very carefully prepare each at 1M for the initial voltage reading...probably this would be the source of error).

1. Why is my voltage lower than the standard cell potential?

The standard cell potential is the maximum potential difference that can be obtained from a redox reaction under ideal conditions. In real-world situations, there are various factors that can affect the actual voltage obtained, such as temperature, concentration of reactants, and purity of the electrodes. These factors can cause a decrease in voltage from the standard cell potential.

2. How does temperature affect voltage in a redox reaction?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the voltage obtained from a redox reaction. As temperature increases, the rate of reaction also increases, resulting in a higher voltage. However, if the temperature is too high, it can cause the reaction to become too fast and may lead to a decrease in voltage due to incomplete reactions or byproducts forming.

3. Can the concentration of reactants affect the voltage in a redox reaction?

Yes, the concentration of reactants can affect the voltage obtained from a redox reaction. According to the Nernst equation, as the concentration of reactants increases, the voltage also increases. This is because a higher concentration of reactants means a higher number of collisions and a faster rate of reaction, resulting in a higher voltage.

4. How can impurities in the electrodes affect the voltage in a redox reaction?

Impurities in the electrodes can interfere with the flow of electrons in the cell, resulting in a lower voltage than the standard cell potential. This is because impurities can act as sites for unwanted reactions, reducing the number of available electrons for the main redox reaction. Using high-purity electrodes can help minimize this effect.

5. Is there a way to increase the voltage to match the standard cell potential?

In most cases, it is not possible to match the standard cell potential in real-world situations. However, there are ways to increase the voltage obtained, such as optimizing the temperature and concentration of reactants, using high-purity electrodes, and minimizing resistance in the circuit. These factors can help get closer to the standard cell potential, but it is unlikely to achieve an exact match.