Understanding Noise Specification Units in Accelerometers and Gyros

You are probably not simulating the sensor correctly. In summary, the conversation is about understanding the units of noise specification for accelerometers and gyro sensors in the datasheet of the 3DM-GX1 device. The accelerometer white noise is specified as 0.4 mg/(root Hz) and the gyro output is specified as 3.5 degrees/(root hour). The question is how to convert these units to standard deviation in meters/sec-square and degrees/sec or radians/sec, respectively. The response explains that the gyro output can be treated as a Brownian noise process with an angular random walk coefficient, and the accelerometer specification is a variation of power spectral density. Additionally, simulation methods for the gyro noise are discussed.
reg_free
hello,
I am stuck at understanding the units of noise specification of accelerometers and gyros. I am referring to the datasheet of 3DM-GX1 which has accelerometers and gyro sensors.
the pdf is ..
http://www.microstrain.com/pdf/3DM-GX1%20Detailed%20Specs%20-%20Rev%201%20-%20070723.pdf

My doubt is, the accelerometer white noise is specified as 0.4 mg/(root Hz) .. mg here is milli g (acceleration due to gravity).. so the units are meters per sec-square/(root hertz) ... how do i get standard deviation of the noise in meters/sec-square ??

Moreover, the similar entry for gyro output(Angular rate in the pdf) is given as Random Walk Noise = 3.5 degrees/(root hour) ... how do i get standard deviation of the white noise of gyro output ?? its units should be, ofcourse, degrees/sec or radians/sec

Please, help me, I am not into stochastics and I am stuck at this point since two weeks!

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A gyro (or an accelerometer) is a "smart" sensor: It has an internal processor that takes measurements at a very high rate. The sensor output is sampled at a much lower rate. The output is an aggregate of the noisy raw measurements: a random walk with random step sizes (i.e., Brownian motion). The sampled data are best characterized as Brownian noise rather than white noise. Brownian noise is characterized by an angular random walk (ARW) coefficient ([tex]3.5^\circ/\surd{\text{hr}}[/tex]).

So, how to convert the spec value to a value you can use to simulate sensor output? The sampled data can be treated as a white noise process, but with the variance depending on the sampling interval: [tex]\sigma_{\omega} = \text{ARW}/\sqrt{\Delta t}[/tex]. Suppose you sample at one Hertz. [tex]\sigma_{\omega}|_{\Delta t = 1 \text{sec}} = 3.5^\circ/\surd{\text{hr}}/\surd{1\text{sec}} = 0.058^\circ/\text{sec}[/tex]. Sampling at 10 Hertz increases the noise to [tex]0.184^\circ/\text{sec}[/tex].

Last edited:
thanks a ton DH :)

i suppose the formula you specified is compatible with allan variance method since that is what is specified in the datasheet.

regarding the accelerometer specification, is it a different variation of representation of power spectral density(psd) ? if it was psd, the units should be mg/Hz. and the psd equals square of standard deviation in case of white noise! Am i missing something here? i'd highly appreciate any help regarding this..

thanks again DH..

Last edited:
A simple way to look at IMUs is that they downsample high-rate signals by averaging to produce a lower rate output. (This treatment is a bit naive, but it is close enough for many purposes.) If the underlying process is a white noise process with variance [itex]\sigma^2[/itex], the output will be a white noise process but with a reduced variance [itex]\frac {\delta t}{\Delta t} \sigma^2[/itex] where [itex]\delta t[/itex] is the internal clock interval and [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is the output clock interval. The output rate is user-selectable, so how to characterize the noise? Answer: remove the [itex]\Delta t[/itex], leaving [itex]\delta t \sigma^2[/itex]. Taking the square root leads to the goofy square root time stuff.

I'm trying to simulate the gyro noise specified in the paper MicroStrain (cf. 1st post of reg_free) under Simulink.
I use the Band Limited White Noise, with a noise power of (3.5°/Vh)^2, and a sample time of 0.01s (corresponding to the update rate of 100Hz).
The output signal is a white noise with a range of roughly +/-6000°/h (3sigma), whereas the bias is given at 0.1°/s, i.e. 360°/h. I'm very surprised that the white noise is so much greater than the bias. Is this normal?
Thanks a lot...

The noise spec is in terms of "angle random walk" with a 3 sigma value of [itex]3.5^{\circ}/\sqrt{\text{hour}}[/itex]. Sampling faster increases the noise. At 100 Hz, you should be getting 2100o/hour (3 sigma), not 6000. Why so much more noise than bias? It's because you are sampling at a fairly high rate and because it's a fairly good sensor.

1. What is a white noise specification?

A white noise specification is a type of statistical model that describes the random and uncorrelated variation in a set of data. It is commonly used in time series analysis and can help identify patterns and trends in the data.

2. How is white noise different from other types of noise?

White noise is unique because it has a constant power spectral density, meaning that it has an equal amount of energy at all frequencies. This is in contrast to other types of noise, such as pink noise or brown noise, which have a different distribution of energy across frequencies.

3. How is white noise used in scientific research?

White noise is commonly used in scientific research to simulate random or unpredictable events that can occur in a system. It can also be used to filter out unwanted noise in data or to test the effectiveness of statistical models.

4. What are some common applications of white noise specification?

White noise specification has many applications in various fields. In economics, it is used to model random fluctuations in financial markets. In engineering, it is used to simulate and test the performance of systems. In neuroscience, it can be used to analyze brain activity and identify abnormal patterns.

5. How is white noise related to the concept of randomness?

White noise is often used as a representation of randomness because it is unpredictable and has no discernible pattern. However, it is important to note that white noise is not truly random, as it is generated by a mathematical process. It is simply a mathematical model that can approximate randomness in certain situations.