International students & applying to U.S. grad schools

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential discrimination against international graduate school applicants, as well as the varying standards set by different universities. The speaker shares their personal experience and suggests that top universities may have higher expectations for international applicants. They also mention some universities that are known to be more accepting of international students.
vincebs
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how widespread it is for graduate schools to set a "quota" on international graduate school applicants? Or even if it's not a quota, how often they set higher minimum grades / GRE scores for admission?

I talked to UVa and Stony Brook and they say that they don't judge international applicants differently. But the websites of UColorado-Boulder and UT Austin clearly say that they do.

So I'm wondering whether I should be prepared to get a 990 on the GRE Physics or forget about applying to any top 50 school, just because I was born on the wrong side of the border? (I'm a Canadian (Univ. of Toronto) and therefore need a "visa" like any other international) :(

Do you know of which schools discriminate against non-U.S. citizens and which don't?

Last edited:
Likes Dominic Chang
Physics news on Phys.org
I can relate to your situation. I'm an international student as well and when I applied to graduate schools, I noticed that many of them set higher standards for international applicants. From my experience, schools such as UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC San Diego, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, and UC Santa Cruz are known to have stricter requirements for international applicants. Unfortunately, it does seem like those top 50 schools you mentioned do have higher expectations for international applicants, so you should be prepared to get a 990 on the GRE Physics if you want to apply to any of those schools.

That being said, there are still some top universities that don't discriminate against non-U.S. citizens. You might have better luck applying to Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, and other Ivy League schools. Additionally, some state universities, such as University of Michigan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and University of Washington, tend to be more accepting of international students.

Good luck on your applications!

I am not an expert on the admissions processes of individual graduate schools. However, I can offer some general information and advice.

Firstly, it is important to note that each graduate school has its own admissions criteria and processes, and these can vary significantly. Some schools may have quotas or different standards for international applicants, while others may not. It is always best to research the specific policies and requirements of each school you are interested in.

In terms of GRE scores, it is important to aim for the highest score possible regardless of your citizenship status. A high GRE score can help strengthen your overall application and make you a more competitive candidate. It is also important to consider the other components of your application, such as your academic background, research experience, and letters of recommendation.

In regards to discrimination against non-U.S. citizens, it is important to note that U.S. universities value diversity and international perspectives in their student body. While some schools may have different criteria for international applicants, this does not necessarily mean discrimination. It is important to approach the application process with a positive and open mindset, and to focus on highlighting your strengths and qualifications as a candidate.

I would also recommend reaching out to current graduate students or alumni from the schools you are interested in to get their insights and experiences as international applicants. This can help give you a better understanding of the admissions process and any potential challenges you may face.

In summary, it is important to thoroughly research the admissions criteria and processes of each graduate school you are interested in and to focus on presenting your qualifications and strengths as a candidate. Do not let your citizenship status discourage you from applying to top schools, as they value diversity and international perspectives in their student body. Best of luck in your applications!

1. How do I find and choose a suitable U.S. graduate school as an international student?

As an international student, it is important to research and consider various factors such as program offerings, location, cost, and reputation of the graduate schools you are interested in. You can utilize online resources, attend virtual or in-person graduate school fairs, and reach out to current students or alumni for their insights and experiences.

2. What are the general admission requirements for international students applying to U.S. grad schools?

The admission requirements vary among different graduate schools and programs. Generally, international students are required to submit transcripts, standardized test scores (such as GRE, GMAT, or TOEFL), letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and a resume/CV. Some schools may also require additional materials such as a writing sample or portfolio.

3. Is financial aid available for international students applying to U.S. grad schools?

Yes, there are various forms of financial aid available for international students, including scholarships, grants, and assistantships. However, it is important to note that the competition for these opportunities is high and they may not cover all expenses. It is also important to research and understand the financial aid policies of the graduate schools you are interested in.

4. Can I work while studying as an international student in a U.S. grad school?

International students on F-1 visas are allowed to work on campus for a limited number of hours per week. Some graduate schools may also offer opportunities for students to work as teaching or research assistants. However, off-campus work is restricted and requires proper authorization. It is important to consult with your designated school official or international student office for more information.

5. How early should I start the application process for U.S. grad schools as an international student?

It is recommended to start the application process at least one year before your intended start date. This will give you enough time to research schools, prepare for standardized tests, gather required materials, and complete the application before the deadline. It is also important to consider the time needed to obtain a student visa, if accepted into a program.