Evaluating the Dot Product of 3D Vectors

• Thread starter Joza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Vector
In summary, the dot product of two vectors can be calculated by finding the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. In the case of 3-dimensional vectors, there are two equivalent ways of defining the dot product. One way is through the formula \vec{u}\cdot \vec{v}= |v||u|cos(\theta), where \theta is the angle between the two vectors. The other way is through expanding the vectors and finding the sum of the products of their corresponding components. In both cases, any terms that are perpendicular to each other (i.e. i dot j or j
Joza
I have 2 vectors with their x, y and z components.

How do I evaluate A dot B? I know it is the product of their magnitudes and cosine of the angle between them. But it's this angle I can't figure out.

I have very limited experience with vectors so far, and none in 3 dimensional.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's hard to answer your question because you haven't given any "context". Their are two equivalent ways of defining "dot product of two vectors":

1. [itex]\vec{u}\cdot \vec{v}= |v||u|cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the two vectors

2. If [itex]\vec{u}= a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/tex] and [itex]v= d\vec{i}+ e\vec{j}+ f\vec{k}[/itex], then [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= ad +be+ cf[/itex]

Which are you using?

HallsofIvy said:
2. If [itex]\vec{u}= a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/tex] and [itex]v= d\vec{i}+ e\vec{j}+ f\vec{k}[/itex], then [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= ad +be+ cf[/itex]

definitely like this

You can think of it like this:

[tex]\vec{u}= a_1\vec{}i+ b_1\vec{j}+ c_1\vec{k}[/tex]

and

[tex]\vec{u}= a_2\vec{i}+ b_2\vec{j}+ c_2\vec{k}[/tex]

If you want to find [tex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex] you can think of it as expanding the two vectors through multiplication.

[itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v} = (a_1*a_2)\vec{i}\cdot\vec{i}+(a_1*b_2)\vec{i}\cdot\vec{j}+(a_1*c_2)\vec{i}\cdot\vec{k}+(b_1*a_2)\vec{j}\cdot\vec{i}+(b_1*b_2)\vec{j}\cdot\vec{j}+(b_1*c_2)\vec{j}\cdot\vec{k}+(c_1*a_2)\vec{k}\cdot\vec{i}+(c_1*b_2)\vec{k}\cdot\vec{j}+(c_1*c_2)\vec{k}\cdot\vec{k}[/itex]

But we know that if the terms are not the same (i.e., i dot j or j dot k) then they are perpendicular to each other right? The dot product, in a sense measures parallel-ness. So all the terms that are not the same become 0 since cos(90) = 0 which is their angle if they are perpendicular. All the terms that are the same go to 0 since they are parallel and cos(0) = 1 So we're left with:

[itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v} = (a_1*a_2)(1)+(b_1*b_2)(1)+(c_1*c_2)(1)[/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is a 3D vector?

A 3D vector is a mathematical representation of a magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in computer graphics, physics, and engineering to describe the position and orientation of objects.

2. How is a 3D vector represented?

A 3D vector is typically represented as an ordered set of three numbers, known as components or coordinates. These numbers can be written in different forms, such as column or row vectors, and can be represented graphically as arrows with a specific length and direction.

3. What is the difference between a 3D vector and a 2D vector?

The main difference between a 3D vector and a 2D vector is the number of dimensions they represent. A 3D vector has three components, while a 2D vector has only two. This means that a 3D vector can describe movement and direction in three-dimensional space, while a 2D vector can only describe movement and direction in a two-dimensional plane.

4. How are 3D vectors used in real-world applications?

3D vectors are commonly used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations, in physics to represent the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, and in engineering to describe the position and orientation of objects in 3D environments. They are also used in navigation systems, virtual reality, and video games.

5. Can 3D vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, 3D vectors can be added or subtracted using vector addition and subtraction rules. This involves adding or subtracting the corresponding components of two vectors to get a new vector with a magnitude and direction determined by the calculation. This is a useful operation in many applications, such as finding the displacement between two points in 3D space.