What Is the Buoyant Force on an Object Submerged in Water?

In summary, the conversation discusses an object hanging from a spring balance and its buoyant force when immersed in water. The FBD is drawn, showing the object, buoyant force, and weight. The question of whether to take into account any other forces is raised, and it is confirmed that only the weight and buoyant force need to be considered. The correct answer is determined to be 10 N up, and it is explained that atmospheric pressure is negligible in this scenario.
Saladsamurai
I am not sure why this is not clicking...

An object hangs from a spring balance. The balance registers 30 N in the air and when it is immersed in water it reads 20 N. What is the buoyant force on this object? Draw a FBD to solve this.

FBD

[tex]\uparrow F_b[/tex]
OBJECT
[tex]\downarrow F_W[/tex]

Do I need to take into account any other forces?

It is multiple choice a) 20 N up
b) 10 N up
c) 10 N down
d) 20 N down

I am pretty sure it is not c or d...as that wouldn't seem like a "buoyant" force:rolleyes: But I am not sure how to set up my Newton's 2nd equation?

Is it just [tex]\sum F=F_{weight}-F_{buoyant}=20[/tex]
so F_buoyant=10N?

It just seems strange that we spent all day taking atmospheric pressure into account, but now we do not...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
I am not sure why this is not clicking...

An object hangs from a spring balance. The balance registers 30 N in the air and when it is immersed in water it reads 20 N. What is the buoyant force on this object? Draw a FBD to solve this.

FBD

[tex]\uparrow F_b[/tex]
OBJECT
[tex]\downarrow F_W[/tex]

Do I need to take into account any other forces?

It is multiple choice a) 20 N up
b) 10 N up
c) 10 N down
d) 20 N down

I am pretty sure it is not c or d...as that wouldn't seem like a "buoyant" force:rolleyes: But I am not sure how to set up my Newton's 2nd equation?

Is it just [tex]\sum F=F_{weight}-F_{buoyant}=20[/tex]
so F_buoyant=10N?

It just seems strange that we spent all day taking atmospheric pressure into account, but now we do not...
Well, that's correct, but your free body diagram technically has 3 forces acting on the object: its weight down (30N), The buoyant force up (F_b), and tension in the scale's cord acting up (20N). So your FBD equation using Newtyon 1 is [tex] F_{net} = T + F_b -W = 0 [/tex] from which 20 + F_b -30 = 0, that is, F_b = 10N up, whuch is what you got, but don't take shortcuts. Atmospheric pressure for all practical purposes cancels out of the equation, because the difference is rather small between the top and bottom of the object.

I can understand why this concept may be confusing. Buoyant force is a complex concept that involves multiple factors such as density, volume, and gravity. In this scenario, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the object, which is why it is crucial to take into account the object's volume.

To solve this problem, we need to use the formula for buoyant force, which is F_b = \rho Vg, where \rho is the density of the fluid (in this case, water), V is the volume of the object submerged in the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

In this case, the volume of the object submerged in water is equal to its total volume, as it is fully submerged. Therefore, we can rewrite the formula as F_b = \rho V_{total}g.

Now, to set up the Newton's second law equation, we need to consider all the forces acting on the object. These forces are the weight of the object (F_{weight}), the buoyant force (F_b), and the normal force from the spring balance (F_{normal}).

Thus, our equation becomes \sum F = F_{normal} - F_{weight} - F_b = 0.

Since we know that the spring balance registers 30 N in the air and 20 N in water, we can plug these values into the equation to solve for the buoyant force. This gives us F_b = F_{normal} - F_{weight} = 20 - 30 = -10 N.

This means that the buoyant force is acting in the opposite direction of the weight of the object, which is downwards. Therefore, the correct answer is option d) 20 N down.

It is essential to take into account all the forces acting on an object to accurately determine the buoyant force. I hope this explanation helps clarify any confusion and helps you understand the concept better.

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. This force is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How is buoyant force calculated?

Buoyant force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the volume of the submerged portion of the object.

3. What is the significance of the free-body diagram (FBD) in understanding buoyant force?

The free-body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. In the case of buoyant force, the FBD helps to show the direction and magnitude of the buoyant force, as well as any other forces acting on the object.

4. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object plays a crucial role in determining its buoyancy. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will float, and if it is more dense, it will sink. This is because the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object in the first case and less than the weight in the second case.

5. Can an object sink in a fluid with a lower density?

Yes, an object can sink in a fluid with a lower density if the object's density is greater than the fluid's density. This is because the buoyant force will be less than the weight of the object, causing it to sink.