Self-Studying Chemistry/Physics [Asking for advice]

• Studying
  • Thread starter BioCore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self-studying
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on self-teaching chemistry and physics after realizing their knowledge in these subjects is lacking. They plan on re-reading their textbook and working on harder problems, but also want recommendations for other textbooks to improve their understanding of the subjects. They are also interested in pursuing topics such as biotechnology, genetic engineering, quantum mechanics, and nanotechnology, and are seeking guidance on where to start and what knowledge to improve upon before diving into these topics.
BioCore
Hi everyone,

Ok so I have a small question on the concept of self-teaching. When I just started university this year I was mostly interested in Biology, a bit in chemistry and hardly anything in Physics. Over the year though I have noticed that my interest in certain fields of Chemistry and Physics was increasing, Mostly Chemistry though.

Also over the year I noticed that my Chemistry knowledge seems to be lacking, even though I read everything and understand it to a certain degree and can do most of the problem sets I still don't do well on tests or show that I know the information. I believe the problem may be that I am lacking in the ability to generalize the information that I obtain, as in being able to apply it to different yet similar scenarios or problems.

My answer to this was to re-teach myself Chemistry and Physics over this summer, starting from now as well, although won't have a lot of time as I need to prepare for finals as well. My current intro. Chemistry course uses the textbook: "Chemical Principles" by Steven S. Zumdahl. I was thinking of redoing the whole book again and then moving on to other textbooks at the same level and later on advancing into tougher books and materials.

Now I was wondering if you all good give me some books that you all think are good texts to learn from and increase my knowledge and abilities in Chemistry, and Physics if possible. Also if you guys have any tips as to how to better increase my understanding, so that I can apply the knowledge to all scenarios that would be wonderful. Finally, do you all recommend taking notes from textbooks or just try and understand?

Thanks again for the help, and I hope this thread can help others too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BioCore said:
Hi everyone,

Ok so I have a small question on the concept of self-teaching. When I just started university this year I was mostly interested in Biology, a bit in chemistry and hardly anything in Physics. Over the year though I have noticed that my interest in certain fields of Chemistry and Physics was increasing, Mostly Chemistry though.

Also over the year I noticed that my Chemistry knowledge seems to be lacking, even though I read everything and understand it to a certain degree and can do most of the problem sets I still don't do well on tests or show that I know the information. I believe the problem may be that I am lacking in the ability to generalize the information that I obtain, as in being able to apply it to different yet similar scenarios or problems.

My answer to this was to re-teach myself Chemistry and Physics over this summer, starting from now as well, although won't have a lot of time as I need to prepare for finals as well. My current intro. Chemistry course uses the textbook: "Chemical Principles" by Steven S. Zumdahl. I was thinking of redoing the whole book again and then moving on to other textbooks at the same level and later on advancing into tougher books and materials.

Now I was wondering if you all good give me some books that you all think are good texts to learn from and increase my knowledge and abilities in Chemistry, and Physics if possible. Also if you guys have any tips as to how to better increase my understanding, so that I can apply the knowledge to all scenarios that would be wonderful. Finally, do you all recommend taking notes from textbooks or just try and understand?

Thanks again for the help, and I hope this thread can help others too.

You can try to re-read the sections you didn't understand, but I recommend skimping through the bold terms since that's all you really need. Work on harder problems, and put in serious effort instead of just using solutions manual the second your stuck. Teachers usually pick the hardest problems.

I tend to do try a hard problem about 10 or so different ways, sometimes even more because I can sometimes go on days before I get an answer. This is fine, but I will only use the solutions manual if I really need it, or just to see that the method I used is similar.

I think though that in order to become better, and able to apply my knowledge in multiple situations, I should try doing different textbooks. Since I have heard that different authors will generally place different forms of questions in their textbooks.

I wanted to just ask again but maybe a bit more into what I would like to do. Currently I am planning on studying Biotechnology which really covers a bit Chemistry and Physics bt mostly Molecular Biology.

Besides Biotechnology and genetic engineering, I have noticed that Quantum mechanics, nanotechnology, biophysics and some other similar fields also interest me. Although I don't intend to study them as in a major or anything I wanted to pursue in gaining more knowledge about them since I really find the topics interesting.

So I was wondering if the members could recommend some good books to start off with, and maybe just guide me a bit to the right path. What should I improve upon currently in my knowledge before I start self-studying these topics? I have taken fist year General Chemistry and will take Introductory Physics over the summer. I have also taken University Calculus but am thinking of improving a bit more on that subject as physics and chemistry and even BioPhysics take a lot from calculus.

So any ideas where to start, what books to read would be very helpful. Thanks again.

1. What are some effective study strategies for self-studying chemistry/physics?

Some effective study strategies for self-studying chemistry/physics include creating a study schedule, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, practicing problems and equations, and using visual aids such as diagrams and charts to better understand concepts.

2. How can I stay motivated while self-studying chemistry/physics?

To stay motivated while self-studying chemistry/physics, it is important to set achievable goals, reward yourself for completing tasks, and find a study partner or group for accountability and support. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the importance and relevance of the subject to your future goals.

3. What are some recommended resources for self-studying chemistry/physics?

Some recommended resources for self-studying chemistry/physics include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems with solutions, and educational websites or apps. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as study guides or video explanations for difficult concepts.

4. How can I effectively manage my time while self-studying chemistry/physics?

To effectively manage your time while self-studying chemistry/physics, it is important to prioritize tasks, minimize distractions, and take breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to set specific goals for each study session and track your progress to ensure you are staying on track.

5. How do I know if I am understanding the material while self-studying chemistry/physics?

One way to know if you are understanding the material while self-studying chemistry/physics is to regularly test yourself with practice problems and quizzes. You can also try teaching the material to someone else or explaining it in your own words to ensure you have a solid understanding. If you are still unsure, don't hesitate to reach out to a tutor or teacher for clarification.