Velocity ratio - bodies in orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of tangential linear velocity of a body at its perihelion to its velocity at aphelion when revolving around the sun. Two ways of solving this are presented, one using the force equality equation and the other using conservation of angular momentum. However, it is clarified that the force equality equation is only valid for circular orbits and the correct equation to use is the vis-viva equation, which also yields the same result as conservation of angular momentum.
Anastomosis
Hi, I was just going over some equations for velocity with respect to bodies revolving around the sun. I wanted to figure out the ratio of tangential linear velocity (i.e. speed) of a body when it is at its perihelion to its velocity at aphelion.

In other words, I wanted to solve for [tex]\frac{v_a}{v_p}[/tex] (velocity at aphelion/velocity at perihelion) in terms of (Ra and Rp, distance at aphelion and perihelion, respectively).

I figured there are two ways of doing this.
One, we can say that the centripetal force keeping the body in orbit is entirely due to the gravitational force of (sun on body).

So setting up a force equality:
[tex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R}=\frac{GMm}{R^2}[/tex]

where m is the mass of the body, M the mass of the sun, G the gravitational constant, and R, the distance between the centers of mass of the sun and body.

Canceling out like terms, we now get:
[tex]v^2=\frac{GM}{R}[/tex]

Indicating that the linear velocity is inversely proportional to the square root of the distance between centers of mass.
So the ratio va/vp is:
[tex]\frac{v_a}{v_p}=\sqrt{\frac{R_p}{R_a}}[/tex]

Now, solving it another way, if we see that there are no external torques acting on the system, such that it is in angular equilibrium, then the angular momentum at each point in the orbit should be equal, in other words:

[tex]L_a = L_p[/tex]
[tex]mv_aR_a = mv_pR_p[/tex]

Rearranging this then, we see that the velocities are inversely proportional to just the distances, i.e.

[tex]\frac{v_a}{v_p}=\frac{R_p}{R_a}[/tex]

So, which is right? Velocity inversely proportional to the square root or just the straight distance?
I'm assuming that they both are right, and I forgot to integrate something, or I assumed too much in setting this up. Can anyone shed light on this?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The R in mv^2/R is NOT the distance from the sun.
It is the radius of curvature of the orbit.
You result only holds for a circular orbit.

Aha, then the equation [tex]F=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/tex] only holds true for circular motion then, and thus R can never be varied, correct?

Or, R can be varied, but it must be computed as the radius of curvature of motion rather than the distance of the object from the center.

Anastomosis said:
So setting up a force equality:
[tex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R}=\frac{GMm}{R^2}[/tex]
That isn't valid. You are implicitly assuming a circular orbit here.

Now, solving it another way ...

[tex]\frac{v_a}{v_p}=\frac{R_p}{R_a}[/tex]

You will get the same result if you look at the problem from the perspective of conservation of energy. Conservation of energy dictates that

[tex]v^2 = GM\left(\frac 2 r - \frac 1 a\right)[/tex]

This is the vis-viva equation. The semi-major axis is related to the apofocus and perifocus via [itex]2a = r_a + r_p[/itex]. With this, the same relationship as you found with conservation of angular momentum arises from the vis-viva equation.

Thanks a lot, that was a big help. I hadn't caught that the centripetal force equation was only for circular orbits.

What is velocity ratio?

Velocity ratio is a term used in physics to describe the ratio of the velocity of one body to the velocity of another body in a particular system. In the case of bodies in orbit, it refers to the ratio of the orbital velocity of one body to the orbital velocity of another body.

How is velocity ratio calculated?

The velocity ratio in orbit is calculated using the equation: VR = v1/v2, where v1 is the orbital velocity of the first body and v2 is the orbital velocity of the second body. This calculation can be used to determine the relative speeds of two bodies in orbit around each other.

What factors affect the velocity ratio of bodies in orbit?

The velocity ratio of bodies in orbit is affected by several factors, including the masses of the bodies, the distance between them, and the gravitational force between them. The larger the mass and the closer the bodies are, the higher the velocity ratio will be.

How does velocity ratio relate to Kepler's laws of planetary motion?

Kepler's laws of planetary motion describe the motion of bodies in orbit, and the velocity ratio is a key component in these laws. Specifically, the third law states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the average distance between the bodies, which can be represented by the velocity ratio.

Why is the velocity ratio important in understanding orbits?

The velocity ratio is important in understanding orbits because it helps us understand the relationship between the orbital velocities of bodies in a system. It also plays a role in determining the stability and shape of orbits, as well as the gravitational forces at play between the bodies.