What are the requirements for Rocket Science?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of "rocket science" and what it involves. The participants discuss the different majors and fields of study that are related to rocket science, such as aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and chemical engineering. They also mention that rocket science is not an actual subject in schools, but rather a popular term used to describe the design and construction of rockets, which involves a diverse team of engineers and scientists. The conversation ends with a suggestion to clarify one's perception of rocket science in order to determine the best field of study.
php111
Hey.. I am not too sure where this thread would go. Please remove it if needed.

What are the requirements needed to major in Rocket Science? What Universities offer that major? What are the foundations that are tough to the students meaning what they learn? Is it more of a challenge then pure Math or Physics or any of the Engineering that are out that? Anyway thanks for everyone that replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Such a thread/question belongs in Academic & Career Guidance.

Basically one is asking about Aerospace Engineering of which 'rocket science' is but one specialty. Many institutions offer aerospace engineering, and one should check out AIAA - www.aiaa.org - if one is interested.

Astronuc said:
Such a thread/question belongs in Academic & Career Guidance.

Basically one is asking about Aerospace Engineering of which 'rocket science' is but one specialty. Many institutions offer aerospace engineering, and one should check out AIAA - www.aiaa.org - if one is interested.

OK. I was just looking into. I didn't know it was Aerospace Engineering. I have checked out that link and even without clicking on it. I knew it wasn't a University. Universities, colleges etc .edu. Would psu.edu be a good college? I am just curious.

Rocket science also falls under mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and chemical engineering.

Laura1013 said:
Rocket science also falls under mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and chemical engineering.

Thank you so much Laura. I did not know that.

Yep. "Rocket science" is basically a popular cliche, not an actual subject you'll find in a school's handbook. The design and construction of actual rockets are done by enormous numbers of people with a wide variety of different specialized skills.

- Warren

I can't answer this for sure, but I think you'd find aerospace engineering very different than your mental perception of rocket science. It's more about the individual components that would come together to build a rocket: control systems, flight dynamics, propulsion, solid mechanics

Last edited:
One part rocket, one part science.

You need a set of diverse people to be working on such important topics in rocket science/engineering. It is too much for one person to know it all... you need tons of engineers and scientists.

why don' you tell us your perception of "Rocket Science" then we can tell you what best to study or rather which fields are mostly involved and some schools with those dept's.

I was talking to a friend some while back, and his perception of rocket science was ballistics of missles. So indeed, perhaps you should tell us your perception of what rocket science is.

What are the requirements for Rocket Science?

The requirements for Rocket Science vary depending on the specific field or job within the industry. However, some common requirements include a strong background in math and physics, a degree in engineering or a related field, and experience in aerospace or aeronautics.

What skills are needed for Rocket Science?

In addition to a strong academic foundation, skills needed for Rocket Science include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Knowledge of computer programming and experience with technical writing may also be beneficial.

What type of education is needed for Rocket Science?

Most careers in Rocket Science require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as aerospace engineering or physics. Some positions may also require a master's degree or PhD, depending on the level of specialization. Continuing education and professional development are also important in this constantly evolving field.

What are some common job titles in Rocket Science?

Some common job titles in Rocket Science include rocket scientist, aerospace engineer, propulsion engineer, systems engineer, and research scientist. There are also various roles within these titles, such as design engineer, testing engineer, and project manager.

What is the job outlook for careers in Rocket Science?

The job outlook for careers in Rocket Science is positive, with a projected growth rate of 6% from 2020 to 2030. This is due to the increasing demand for satellite and spacecraft development, as well as the emergence of private space companies. However, competition for jobs may be high, and staying updated on the latest technology and developments is crucial for success in this field.