How do I manage how much of each subject I study?

• Thread starter iBankingFTW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the speaker's day schedule consists of homework and studies after school, with math being done for fun. They are also preparing for the SAT, AP Bio Exam, and self-teaching Physics. The speaker is unsure of how to balance studying for all of these subjects and is feeling stressed. They propose a plan to rotate studying each subject every night, but the expert suggests spending one hour on each subject and switching between them each night to stay ahead and better understand the classes.
iBankingFTW
Well, for my day schedule, I spent weekdays solely on homework and my studies. I come home after school and some activities around 6:00 PM. And from 6 to 10-11 I do my homework first. So any problems, essays, etc that are for school I do.

The rest of the things that I do are:

SAT prep
AP Bio Exam Prep
Self-Teaching Physics (I'm taking Physics 1 in high school but a horrible teacher so I self-teach from the textbook)
Read and work a lesson ahead in Pre-Calculus/Trig

The math isn't really part of the others because I do that for fun and do the extra problems for fun. I don't have a big problem with that.

But how can I balance SAT, AP, and Physics studying at night? Should I do just one each night and rotate them every 3 days or should I do a little of them each night...or?

Thanks. It's getting really stressful thinking about trying to get a 4 on the AP Bio exam (which I doubt), getting a good score for SAT's, and trying to learn Physics (which I hated because of the teacher but just reading and working in the first 2 chapters I've learned more in those than I did all year and Physics really is a "fun" and fascinating subject.)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you follow your proposed plan, then the best mode of action would be to try and go ahead in all of the subjects. This way when you are studying for another subject you won't fall behind in the others. But if you ask me, this is probably unnecessary. What I usually did in school, was try to self-teach myself every course - or at least every course since I wanted some experience before I went into University.

But what I usually did was assign one hour to each course, and I just kept switching between each course. So one hour Bio, one hour Physics, one hour SAT Prep, etc... If I had enough time I could sometimes do something like 2 full rounds or almost 3 rounds of studying every course each night.

I also noticed that with this system I could go way ahead of my class which allowed me to understand my teachers classes better.

I understand the importance of time management and finding a balance between different subjects. Here are a few suggestions on how you can manage your study time for each subject:

1. Prioritize: Start by prioritizing your subjects based on their importance and your strengths and weaknesses. For example, if you feel confident in math, you can allocate less time for it and focus more on subjects like AP Bio and Physics.

2. Create a study schedule: It's important to have a structured study schedule in place to manage your time effectively. You can allocate specific days or time slots for each subject, depending on your priorities. For example, you could devote Mondays and Wednesdays to AP Bio, Tuesdays and Thursdays to Physics, and Fridays to SAT prep.

3. Set goals: Set realistic goals for each study session to keep yourself motivated and on track. This will also help you stay focused and make the most out of your study time.

4. Utilize breaks: It's important to take breaks in between your study sessions to avoid burnout. Use these breaks to relax and recharge, but also to reflect on what you have learned and plan for your next study session.

5. Use different study techniques: Don't limit yourself to just reading and note-taking. Use a variety of study techniques such as flashcards, practice questions, and group study sessions to make your studying more efficient and engaging.

Ultimately, finding the right balance between your subjects will require some trial and error. Don't be afraid to adjust your study schedule if you feel like one subject needs more attention than the others. Remember to also take care of your physical and mental well-being during this busy time. Good luck with your studies!

1. How do I determine how much time to dedicate to each subject?

It's important to prioritize your subjects based on their level of difficulty and your personal strengths and weaknesses. Allocate more time to subjects that are more challenging for you, but also make sure to give enough attention to each subject to maintain a well-rounded understanding.

2. Should I study each subject for the same amount of time every day?

It's not necessary to have a strict schedule for studying each subject every day. Instead, consider breaking up your study sessions throughout the week and focus on specific subjects during each session. This will help prevent burnout and allow for more efficient learning.

3. Is it better to study one subject at a time or multiple subjects in one session?

This ultimately depends on your personal learning style. Some people prefer to fully immerse themselves in one subject at a time, while others may benefit from switching between subjects to keep their mind engaged. Experiment with both methods to see what works best for you.

4. How do I balance studying for different subjects with other responsibilities?

Time management is key in balancing your studies with other responsibilities. Create a schedule or to-do list to help prioritize tasks and set aside dedicated study time for each subject. Make sure to also include breaks and time for self-care to avoid burning out.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject?

If you are having difficulty understanding a subject, don't hesitate to seek help. Talk to your teacher or professor, join a study group, or consider hiring a tutor. It's important to address any challenges early on to prevent falling behind and to improve your understanding of the subject.