Finding area-FTC (is it right?)

• Thread starter maks4
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation includes two questions: 1) finding the area between the x-axis and the curve y=sinx on [0, PI], and 2) finding the area bounded by the curves y = x^2 and y = x^3 on the interval [0,1]. The first question is confirmed to be correct, with the solution being 2 units squared. The second question is also resolved, with the reminder to include units squared when stating an area.
maks4
1. The question is:
Find the area between the x-axis and the curve y=sinx on [0, PI]

2. And i think i did it right but i just want to make sure...
So an anti derivative of sinx is = -cosx
Evaluating comes to = -cos PI - (-cos 0) which comes out to 1+1=2

This is right, right?

And a second question as well

2. Find the area bounded by the curves y = x^2 and y = x^3 on the interval [0,1]
Ok here is the solution
2ept284.jpg

What i don't understand here is, shouldn't (1/4 * x^4) be 0? Aren't you replacing the x with a 0 and doesn't the rest of it become 0? It just seems like only the 1 is evaluated on both of them and that's how it comes to 1/3 - 1/4...i don't understand how it came to that. (sorry if this is obvious but i can't see it)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT:
Looks correct.

You forgot units squared, but yeah it looks right.

^^Thanks both of you. But what do you mean i forgot units squared?

When stating an area, you're 'suppsed' to put units^2 after your constant.

Oh right, thanks!

Never mind about the second question i figured it out...:shy:

1. What is the purpose of finding area using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC)?

The purpose of finding area using the FTC is to accurately calculate the area under a curve in a given interval. This is useful in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to determine the total change in a system or the amount of work done.

2. How does the FTC work?

The FTC is based on the concept of antiderivatives and definite integrals. It states that the definite integral of a function f(x) can be calculated by finding its antiderivative F(x) and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. This can be represented by the formula ∫a^b f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a). This allows us to find the area under a curve without having to use geometric shapes or numerical approximations.

3. Can the FTC be used for any type of function?

Yes, the FTC can be used for any continuous function. However, for discontinuous functions, the area must be calculated in separate intervals and then added together.

4. Are there any limitations to using the FTC for finding area?

One limitation is that the function must be continuous in the given interval. If there are any discontinuities or sharp turns in the curve, the FTC may not give an accurate result. Additionally, the FTC can only be used for finding area in one dimension. For finding volume or area in higher dimensions, other integration techniques must be used.

5. How is the FTC used in real-world applications?

The FTC is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating work done in physics problems, determining the total amount of change in economics, and finding the area under a concentration versus time curve in chemistry. It is also used in engineering to calculate the area under stress-strain curves to determine the strength of materials.