Troubleshooting Flickering/Blinking on GeForce FX 5200 Video Card

• Thread starter incognito41
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, the speaker recently purchased a GeForce FX 5200 for their secondary computer and installed it as suggested. However, the screen now flickers slightly and they are unsure how to make adjustments to the bios. They are seeking advice on potential solutions, such as checking the monitor and cable, adjusting the refresh rate, and downloading a driver for the monitor. They also mention the card connects via PCI-express.
incognito41
I recently bought a GeForce FX 5200 for a secondary computer. I installed as suggested and the screen flickers slightly now. I've read that there are some adjustments that can be made to the bios but i am unsure as to how to do this. does anyone have any ideas? the screen comes up fine but some of the edges and more colored regions of the screens seem to flicker in and out. any help is appreciated.

the card connects via PCI-express.

thanks,

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I would probably blame the monitor before the card, do you have another monitor you can test it with? It's also worth checking the cable and connectors.

When does it flicker? All the time? During games?

Try going to control panel -> Display -> advanced settings -> monitor.
If your refresh rate is 60Hz that explains the flickering.

If it let's you, try changing to a higher rate like 75Hz.
If it won't, then you need to download the driver for your monitor.

If you can't find the monitor driver and you know the modes your monitor can use then you can try overiding this setting in adapter -> modes.

1. What causes video card flickers/blinks?

Video card flickers/blinks can be caused by a variety of factors, including outdated drivers, faulty hardware, overheating, and outdated or incompatible software.

2. How can I fix video card flickers/blinks?

The first step to fixing video card flickers/blinks is to update your video card drivers to the latest version. If that does not resolve the issue, you may need to replace the hardware or troubleshoot for software conflicts.

3. Can overclocking cause video card flickers/blinks?

Yes, overclocking can cause video card flickers/blinks if the graphics card is pushed beyond its capabilities. This can result in overheating and other issues that can lead to flickering or blinking on the screen.

4. How do I prevent video card flickers/blinks?

To prevent video card flickers/blinks, make sure to keep your video card drivers up to date, avoid overclocking, and ensure that your hardware is not overheating. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain your computer to prevent dust buildup that can affect the performance of your video card.

5. Can a faulty monitor cause video card flickers/blinks?

Yes, a faulty monitor can cause video card flickers/blinks. It is important to check for any loose connections or damaged cables between your computer and the monitor. If the problem persists, try connecting the monitor to a different computer to determine if the issue is with the monitor or the video card.