Library Updates: 15 New Comments & More

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I've worked out that if you create with too much LaTeX, the server doesn't renew the page, and you have to refresh manually to see it, and it doesn't acknowledge a Creator.So I've started creating with only a short extended explanation, and adding the rest as an edit....That's a great solution! :smile: Thanks for the suggestion.
A couple new things!

First we corrected the date so the column isn't all messed up. Second we added the last 15 comments to the front page. This makes it much easier to see what is being discussed and what has been updated. Thirdly item creators now have edit rights to their items no matter their usergroup. Enjoy!

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
A couple new things!

First we corrected the date so the column isn't all messed up. Second we added the last 15 comments to the front page. This makes it much easier to see what is being discussed and what has been updated. Thirdly item creators now have edit rights to their items no matter their usergroup. Enjoy!

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php
Thanks Greg :approve:.

One quick question, are these edits moderated?

Hootenanny said:
Thanks Greg :approve:.

One quick question, are these edits moderated?

No, there has never been a function for edit moderation I'm afraid

Hi Greg! :smile:

Can item creators see (and edit) their own items while they're still in the moderation queue?

Also, is anyone notified when an item is edited? If not, then if the creator edits without leaving a comment, the edit will remain unchecked indefinitely.

Would it be possible to enable subscriptions to library items?

tiny-tim said:

Can item creators see (and edit) their own items while they're still in the moderation queue?

Also, is anyone notified when an item is edited? If not, then if the creator edits without leaving a comment, the edit will remain unchecked indefinitely.

Would it be possible to enable subscriptions to library items?
I agree, I think that at the very least we should have some record/notification that an entry has been edited, perhaps sending it back to the moderation queue would be an option?

We have the edit log system as a record but I guess it would be nicer if people could subscribe to an entry they were interested in and be notified of any changes. At some point there will be more entries than the staff can reasonably expect to monitor by 'flicking through' them alone.

Good suggestions. I am thinking of some possible solutions and I'll propose them once I have them figured out.

I propose two things.

1. A "My Entries" link. This would simply be a list of items you have created. Currently item creators can edit their items, but unfortunately they forget which are theirs and there is no way for them currently to edit something in moderation.

2. Subscribe to Item link. The subscription would be sent through the PM system and not email. Notifying you of an updated item. This "update" includes a new comment. I don't think we'll be able to describe in the notification what has been updated because we use AJAX for updating. If we did, then you'd receive a separate PM for each section changed and each edit. Instead if an item has been updated, it will merely tick a flag in the DB and at end of day will PM those who subscribed. You can see what parts were edited via the edit log.

Last edited:
I like it! :approve:

While you're in tinkering mood, Greg, may I mention that when the Scientists field is edited, the edit log says "latex" … which could be very worrying to a creator desperately tying to work out which of his equations has been altered! :redface:

Sounds like a good solution Greg.

Edit log not updating

I've noticed, in many entries, that the Edit log is not recording edits.

For example, in work done , there is only one item in the Edit log (even if I type "pagenumber=2" into the url).

We can't always rely on contributors to announce changes in the "Commentary".

We can't keep track of edits if the Edit log doesn't even draw our attention to them. :frown:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Tiny I just did an edit in work done and it records it in the log

Yes, so did I, and it was recorded.

But olgranpappy's edit wasn't recorded, nor any of the many previous ones (though I'm sure I've seen them before).

And this is happening often.

Quite a few of my edits don't show up and I'm not listed as the creator in entries I created such as the buoyant force one

acknowledging the Creator

Kurdt said:
Quite a few of my edits don't show up and I'm not listed as the creator in entries I created such as the buoyant force one

I've worked out that if you create with too much LaTeX, the server doesn't renew the page, and you have to refresh manually to see it, and it doesn't acknowledge a Creator.

So I've started creating with only a short extended explanation, and adding the rest as an edit. :rolleyes:

subscribing

For several days (though it worked fine before), I've had an error page when I've tried to subscribe to Library entries … for example, density of states and wave-particle duality :frown:

tiny-tim said:
For several days (though it worked fine before), I've had an error page when I've tried to subscribe to Library entries … for example, density of states and wave-particle duality :frown:

thanks, I will look into it

library subscriptions

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Have a free quark! o:)

Greg Bernhardt said:
A couple new things!

… Second we added the last 15 comments to the front page. …

Greg, if there's time, could the "Last comments" field on the front page be given the same authorisations as the "Commentary" field in the main Library, so that we don't get disparities like ":smile:" and "&#949" ?

Unregistered

I've just looked at the Library while not logged in, and the main page had a My entries link, which I clicked on, and found 3 entries by "Unregistered", one of which was still "in Moderation". :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of "Library Updates: 15 New Comments & More"?

The purpose of "Library Updates: 15 New Comments & More" is to inform users about the latest updates and changes to the library system. This includes new comments, additions to the collection, and any other important information related to the library.

2. How often are these library updates released?

The library updates are typically released on a monthly basis. However, this may vary depending on the frequency of changes and updates to the library system.

3. Can I provide feedback or suggestions for the library updates?

Yes, feedback and suggestions are always welcome. You can leave a comment or contact the library directly to share your thoughts and ideas.

4. Are there any new features or services included in the latest library updates?

Yes, the library updates may include new features or services that have been added to enhance the user experience. These updates will be highlighted in the release notes.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest library updates?

You can stay updated on the latest library updates by subscribing to the library's newsletter or following the library's social media accounts. You can also check the library's website for any announcements or updates.